17 Douro Rd South Fremantle
Constructed from 1967, Constructed from 1902
|Heritage List||YES||08 Mar 2007|
|Municipal Inventory||Adopted||18 Sep 2000||Level 3||
Bartholomew Daly's Stables (fmr) has significance as the stables for Bartholomew Daly's fleet of draught horses for his contracting business. Bartholomew Daly, a contractor, was a local identity in South Fremantle. He had large stables near his house to accommodate this fleet of horses and he also served as a Councillor for the City of Fremantle for many years.
Bartholomew Daly's Stables (fmr) at 17 Douro Road is a large rectangular rendered masonry commercial building with skillion roof on a corner block. There are no doors or windows or distinguishable features along the road side walls. There appears to be a small lean-to addition at the building’s entrance.
Between 1900 and 1930, Chesterfield was a separate suburb, focused around Douro Road. The street is named for the Duke of Wellington, who was also the Marquis of Douro, after the Battle of the passage of the Douro River in the Peninsular War. Douro Rd meets Marine Tce, which was formerly Wellington Tce. A 1908 PWD drawing shows a Church of England Sunday School on the south-west corner of Douro Road and Walker Streets, and shops to the street frontage on Douro Road on the corners of Thomas, Hulbert (Jane) and Chester streets. Large stables were also located on the south-east corner of Hulbert and Douro Road.
In 1900, Lot 59 of Subdivision 11 was vacant land owned by A Armstrong. The land was purchased by Bartholomew Daly in 1901/02 and he had stables built on the lot in that year. Daly lived in a cottage on the adjacent lot.
Bartholomew Daly was born in Ireland c. 1867 and emigrated to South Australia with his parents. He worked for the South Australian Government Service in the Water Works Department and then spent 14 years in Broken Hill in a similar job. He came to Western Australia with C Jobson and commenced contracting. He returned to South Australia after two years, then c. 1900 came back to Western Australia and settled in South Fremantle. He re-established his contracting business known as Daly and Sons from his new Douro Road property and was contracted to the Fremantle Smelting Company to supply flux to the works. He also took on carting contracts for the Fremantle Municipal Council and is credited with introducing the first slag roads in Western Australia. Mr Daly was a Fremantle Councillor from 1909 to 1912, 1917 to 1922 and again from 1925 to 1929. He served on the Fremantle Hospital Board and was first chairman on the United Friendly Societies Council. He was also a member of the Council of the Liberal League of Western Australia.
In 1903/04, a cottage, stables, shed and cart yard were listed as being on lots 56-60 owned by Bartholomew Daly. The property was listed as No. 39 Douro Road in 1908/09.
By 1930/31, Lots 57 and 58 (later 13-15 Douro Road) were listed as a residence owned by B T Daly. The following year, N Hurley was listed as the occupant. Bartholomew Daly died in 1932 and the property continued to be owned by his estate through the 1930s.
By 1944/45, Lot 59 was owned by Levi and Ada Jones and the property was listed in the rate books as a store. The property changed hands several times in the 1950s and 1960s, and by the mid-1960s was listed as a workshop and store. The rate books note ‘rebuilding’ in 1967.
The property was owned by the McCorkill family from the mid-1960s to c. 1980 and was listed in the rate books as a workshop. Since c. 1989, the property has been the commercial workshop of Arrow Electric Services Pty Ltd.
The place was included in the "Heritage Study South Fremantle", prepared by John Taylor Architects, for the City of Fremantle, June 1993.
Low degree of integrity
Low degree of authenticity
(These statements based on street survey only).
Condition assessed as fair (assessed from streetscape survey only).
|Name||Type||Year From||Year To|
|Bartholomew Daly||Original Owner||-||-|
Individual Building or Group
|DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY||Land allocation & subdivision|
|OCCUPATIONS||Manufacturing & processing|
This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.