inHerit Logo



City of Fremantle

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


7-11 William St Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1888, Constructed from 1905

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 1B

Level 1B

The City of Fremantle has identified this place as being of exceptional cultural heritage significance in its own right within the context of Fremantle and its conservation is required. It is recommended that this place be considered for entry in the Heritage Council of Western Australia's Register of Heritage Places.

Statement of Significance

The place is of historic significance as part of a group of buildings known collectively as the Manning Buildings, built in the first decade of the twentieth century by the Manning family and believed to have been designed by the prominent architectural firm of Cavanagh and Cavanagh. The place is a fine example of a Federation Free Classical style building, with elaborate stucco decoration above the ground floor level, that makes a significant contribution to the streetscape. Awning and shop fronts are not significant.

Physical Description

Two storey rendered stone building with a zero setback from the pavement. There are two chimneys with corbelling, which are fronted by a decorative bracketed parapet. There are engaged pilasters with ashlar effect dividing the building into three bays, and double hang sash windows with highly decorative stucco aedicules. There is a verandah awning (probably not original) and the shops have recessed entrances.


The facade of Nos. 7-9 William Street has been classified by the National Trust as c1905. Research however, indicates that the building and facade are of a much earlier date. It is difficult to ascertain exactly when the three shops, Nos. 7-11 were erected. A ratebook search seems to indicate that it was between 1888 and 1895. Prior to 1888 four cottage existed on the site. A photograph of High Street in 1896 clearly shows the facade and rear of the building. The photographers Nixon and Merrilees were the occupants of shop No. 7. Together they occupied this shop from 1893 to 1900. Charles Nixon then operated by himself 1901-33.
Two photographs dated 1919 show upper (bull-nosed) and lower verandahs on the building. The verandahs were removed in the 1950s, because the street level verandah posts were seen as a traffic hazard. Swanseas Cycle and Motor Company occupied shop No. 9 in 1935. On 9 April 1935 they made an application to erect an illuminated sign above their shop. When Mr A.E. Arblaster (saddler) moved from shop No. 11 in the early 1940s, Swanseas occupied both Nos. 9 and 11. Their need for easy access between the two shops prompted them to approach Allen and Nicholas (architects) to draw up plans for alterations to the building. These plans were approved and passed by Council on 2 October 1945. They were to be carried out by Taylor Bros. of 27 Hope Street, Palmyra at a cost of £675.
The plans show the proposed removal of the wall between Nos. 9 and 11, the removal of stairs in No. 11, and the installation of new windows. No. 7 has been a barber's shop since 1933. Originally established by Mr R. E. W. Wrightson, the business in 1988 was carried on by his son.
In 1988, the existing internal opening was extended and internal staircase removed. (Development Application No. 556/86. The windows of Nos. 9-11 appear to have been changed in 1945. (Above information by Lorraine Stevens 18/7/1988)
Currently (2013), various commercial outlets.


Remains of earlier cottage on site.



Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use COMMERCIAL Shop\Retail Store {single}
Original Use COMMERCIAL Shop\Retail Store {single}

Architectural Styles

Victorian Free Classical

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall STONE Limestone
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall BRICK Rendered Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Commercial & service industries

Creation Date

20 Jul 2011

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

22 Mar 2019


This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.