inHerit Logo

Abattoir (fmr), East Rockingham

Author

City of Rockingham

Place Number

03126
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

Cnr Dixon Rd & Darile St Hillman

Location Details

Local Government

Rockingham

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

Constructed from 1940

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
RHP - Does not warrant assessment Current 19 Apr 2013

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 24 Apr 2018 Category A

Category A

Worthy of the highest level of protection- recommended for entry into the State Register of Heritage Places. Development would require consultation with the City of Rockingham. Maximum encouragement to the owner should be provided under the City of Rockingham Planning Scheme to conserve the significance of the place. A detailed Heritage Assessment* and Impact Statement should be undertaken before approval is given for any major redevelopment. Incentives to promote heritage conservation should be also be considered.

Statement of Significance

• The place has aesthetic value as a landmark as a rustic building in a rural landscape surrounded by large established trees.
• The place has historic value as a key component of the East Rockingham heritage precinct.
• The place has historic value for its associated with the provision of abattoir services to the local population during WWII.
• The place has historic value for its association with equestrian activities that were a dominant activity in the district.
• The design of the abattoir has research value as it indicates the processes associated with a small-scale slaughtering operation in the early 1940s.
• The place is rare as an extant example of a small scale abattoir.

Physical Description

The ruins of the limestone abattoir building are located on a prominent corner site and forms part of the Dixon Road Conservation Precinct. The place is of limestone construction which has undergone some repointing in the past.
Conservation works are being scheduled with preparatory works already undertaken including the removal of the extant roofing fabric and the window frames to the Darile Street elevation. This fabric has been retained and will be reinstated. A small number of hard wood roof members remain extant. Marseille tiles and timber gables have been removed in accordance with conservation schedules prepared by conservation practitioners.
The site has been secured by wire fencing and locked gate. An interpretive display has been installed outside the fence enclosing the site.

History

In 1940, Oliver (Crom) Wilson and his family moved into the Rockingham district. Wilson, and his partner Sydney Dixon, were partners in two butcher shops, one in Penguin Road, Safety Bay and the other in Rockingham Road.
Possibly as a consequence of war time restrictions during the early 1940s, which made the availability of fresh meat difficult, Wilson and Dixon built their abattoir on Lot 11 near Day Road and arranged for their own supplies of stock.
The abattoir was of sound construction being built of local limestone blocks, possibly quarried from Sam Chalwell's property further north off Day Road. Sydney Dixon's daughter recalls that it was during the early war years when her father and Crom Wilson built and operated the abattoir.
According to local knowledge, Wilson and Dixon employed Sam Chalwell, a keen horseman who lived close by, to select the cattle and sheep from local outlets, and possibly others further afield, and drive the stock to the abattoir. The stock would then be held in yards on the site.
In 1952, Wilson sold the abattoir site to Raymond Patrick Connolly, a retired farmer of Mundijong, who apparently converted the abattoir building into a dairy. Connolly also owned trotters and a circular track, possibly a training track is visible on a 1972 aerial photograph of the site. Connolly also leased portion of the land to other trainers and over the years several other structures for the horses were built on the site.
All the structures including a small cottage have subsequently been removed except for the former abattoir.
In mid-2016, the roof cladding was removed as part of a conservation strategy for the place.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: Low Degree
Authenticity: Moderate Degree

Condition

Poor

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
9471 The old abattoir, cnr Dixon and Day Roads, Hillman WA conservation plan for City of Rockingham. Heritage Study {Cons'n Plan} 1999
9470 The old abattoir, Hillman, conservation plan (review). Heritage Study {Cons'n Plan} 2009
8421 Urgent works report : East Rockingham heritage precinct. Book 1998

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use INDUSTRIAL\MANUFACTURING Abbatoir
Original Use INDUSTRIAL\MANUFACTURING Abbatoir

Creation Date

11 Sep 1997

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

04 Mar 2020

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.