inHerit Logo

Bank of New South Wales (NSW)(fmr)

Author

Shire of Katanning

Place Number

14784
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

127 Clive St Katanning

Location Details

Cnr Aberdeen St

Other Name(s)


Westpac

Local Government

Katanning

Region

Great Southern

Construction Date

Constructed from 1913

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 22 Jun 2000 Category 2

Category 2

• Of very considerable significance to the Shire of Katanning. • High level of protection appropriate.

Art Deco Significant Bldg Survey Completed 30 Jun 1994

Heritage Council
Statewide Bank Survey Completed 01 Nov 1997

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

The W Challenge Bank (fmr Westpac Bank) represents the economic growth of Katanning, being one of many banks established in the Shire along Clive Street, although this bank building is located on the western side of the railway line. The building has some aesthetic significance with a strongly designed (classical form) central bay and prominent corner location.

Physical Description

The original building is a three bay frontage with a tiled gambrel roof and stucco facade, symmetrically disbursed around a pedimented central bay with rusticated pilasters and engaged ionic columns. The double hung windows appear to have been replaced. The design style could be described as Federation Free Classical. To the left is a later addition, which is more or less in keeping with the original building. An ATM (automatic teller machine) was installed at the front of the building in October 2000.

History

In 1910, a branch of the Bank of New South Wales was opened in Albion Street, then G W Cussen set up temporary premises for the bank in Clive Street.
In December 1911, Porter & Thomas Architects, from Perth called for tenders for alterations and additions to the Bank of New South Wales, which were completed in 1912.
In 1927, the Bank of New South Wales absorbed the WA Bank.

Condition

Good

Associations

Name Type Year From Year To
Porter & Thomas Architects, Architect 1911 -

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
WA Mining, Building and Engineering Journal. p.24 16/12/1911,
Bignell M; "A Place to Meet: a History of the Shire of Katanning Western Australia". UWA Press 1981

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use COMMERCIAL Bank
Original Use COMMERCIAL Bank

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Free Classical

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall RENDER Other Render
Roof TILE Ceramic Tile

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Commercial & service industries

Creation Date

26 Nov 1999

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.