Cnr Brockman & Weld Sts Gingin
Constructed from 1920
|Municipal Inventory||Adopted||17 Nov 1994||Category 1||
|Statewide War Memorial Survey||Completed||01 May 1996||
Originally erected in front of Roads Board Office in Constable Street. Moved to present location in park adjoining Shire Offices in 1968. The memorial built of simple stone and bears the names of Gingin & district residents who went to war. There is also a seperate plaque in honour of Jim Gordon who received the Victoria Cross on 12 July 1942.
The War Memorial stands in the gardens in front of the Gingin Shire Office. It is a simple stone memorial and bears the names of Gingin and districts residents who went to war. In the First World War, there are 47 who served and 10 who died on service. In the Second World War there are 8 who died on service. There is a separate plaque in honour of Jim Gordon who received the Victoria Cross on 12th July 1942. The original memorial was erected in front of the Roads Board Office in Constable St, Gingin in June 1920. It was fenced with jarrah posts and rails and netting several months later. Premier Sir Henry Lefroy officially unveiled it on the 17th November 1920. The stone memorial was erected on the 12th July 1942 in honour of Jim Gordon VC. The Memorial was removed to its present location in Brockman St c. 1978.
|Ref ID No||Ref Name||Ref Source||Ref Date|
|H Udell: "History of Gingin". p 154 & 276|
|OUTSIDE INFLUENCES||World Wars & other wars|
This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.