Balloons Bunbury silho Freo Rail station Govt house Marvel Bar Rotto Swan building
inHerit Logo

ARTHUR HEAD AND ESPLANADE (West End Conservation Area)

Author

City of Fremantle

Place Number

22578
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government

Fremantle

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

0 to 0

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
(no listings)

Statement of Significance

Arthur Head and Esplanade is a precinct of exceptional significance within the West End Conservation Area because it contains the site of first settlement in the Swan River colony and the first law and order buildings. It also contains the site of the colony’s first port.

Physical Description

The Arthur head and Esplanade Conservation Area is defined as the area bounded by Fleet St on the west side, the shore of Bather’s Bay, then northeast to Mews Road south of FCC carpark No. 31, southeast along Mews Road, then north east across the Esplanade Reserve along the east side of carpark No. 11 to Marine Tce, then northwest and southwest along Marine Tce around Esplanade Reserve to Little High St, and north on Little High St to the intersection of Fleet St and Phillimore St.

History

The ARTHUR HEAD AND ESPLANADE precinct comprises the Round House, constructed in 1830-31 and designed by Henry Willey Reveley, an architect and Civil Engineer to the Colony, and associated buildings at Arthur Head. The choice of such a prominent site, terminating High Street, was symbolic of the role of Law and Order within the community. Following the arrival of convicts in 1851 and the completion of the Fremantle Prison in 1857, the Round House ceased to be used as a prison. In 1966 Fremantle Port Authority opened the Round House to the public. In 1984 Arthur Head was declared an A Class Reserve and was subsequently vested in the City of Fremantle. The site proved popular as a tourist attraction, and remains so today.
The Esplanade is the site of the first jetty, built 1830. The land was reclaimed in 1902 and the first Norfolk Pines were planted in 1908. The Esplanade is evidence of the Council’s determination to beautify the city and provide a meeting place and site for recreation

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
MI not adopted - See West End Conservation Area entry as the parent precinct

Place Type

Precinct or Streetscape

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Transport\Communications Water: Other

Creation Date

8 Oct 2002

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

23 Dec 2011

Disclaimer

This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.