inHerit Logo

Frank Cadd Building (fmr)

Author

Fremantle ARCHIVED 201216

Place Number

00983
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

33 Phillimore St Fremantle

Location Details

Also part of 840 West End Conservation Area.

Other Name(s)

Fares House

Local Government

Fremantle

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

Constructed from 1890

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007 City of Fremantle

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 1B

Level 1B

The City of Fremantle has identified this place as being of exceptional cultural heritage significance in its own right within the context of Fremantle and its conservation is required. It is recommended that this place be considered for entry in the Heritage Council of Western Australia's Register of Heritage Places.

City of Fremantle
Register of the National Estate Permanent 21 Mar 1978

Heritage Council
Classified by the National Trust Classified 01 Apr 1974

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

The place is of historic significance as an example of a commercial building in the Old Port City of Fremantle dating from the gold boom period in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. The place is significant because, when viewed from the street, it is a substantially intact example of a commercial building which contributes to the very significant Old Port City of Fremantle. The place is of social significance as evidenced by its classification by the National Trust.

Physical Description

Two storey and enclosed half basement, rendered stone building with a bracketed parapet and a zero set back from the pavement. The parapet has low pier balustrade with '1890' appearing. There is ashlar effect quoining and to the engaged pilasters on the ground floor, which has an arched entrance and windows. 'Fares House' appears below the first floor sash windows, (probably not original).

History

Built 1890. In 1959 it was the Frank Cadd Company's building, adjacent to single storey, cgi warehouses, since demolished and now a carpark. LEP Transport International were owners c1974, when proposed office development plans by Max Poole architect were submitted.
Photo record on file with plans for rear extension, undated, c1987 by Zuideveld Bennett Architects. Previously, 2002 Fares Rural Co. Pty Ltd. University of Notre Dame purchased the property in January 2004 and currently (2006) propose to develop the in conjunction with the carpark which is situated on the east side.

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use COMMERCIAL Other
Original Use COMMERCIAL Warehouse
Original Use COMMERCIAL Office or Administration Bldg

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Free Classical

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall RENDER Smooth
Wall RENDER Other Render
Wall STONE Limestone
Wall BRICK Rendered Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Commercial & service industries

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.