inHerit Logo

St John's Anglican Church

Author

Shire of Augusta-Margaret River

Place Number

00126
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

Cnr Osmington & Canebreak Rds Osmington

Location Details

Local Government

Augusta/Margaret River

Region

South West

Construction Date

Constructed from 1933

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 17 Jun 1996 Criterion 2

Criterion 2

HISTORIC VALUER: It is significant in the evolution or pattern of the history of the local district.

RHP - To be assessed Current 16 Apr 2004

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

St John’s is the only physical evidence remaining of the small town of Osmington, which was established during group settlement – being group number 85. It represents one of the many churches and halls, erected by the group settlers in the south-west, and demonstrates the community spirit and activity of the groups.

Physical Description

The church is a small weather board church, It has a steeply pitched CGI roof. It has arched windows. The walls are made from fibrous cement (asbestos).

History

St John’s Anglican Church in Osmington was built by “Cotter” Williams. Williams wife although not an Anglican herself, helped organise fundraising events for the erection of the church building, although it was mainly through the generosity of Mrs Rivington in England. The church was opened on 27th December 1933 and dedicated by Bishop Wilson on 2nd February 1934.

The church was adjacent to the school, which has now been removed, and so the church building is the only tangible proof of the existence of the tiny hamlet of Osmington. A plaque to group settlement has been set outside the church and a list of present residents is inside. The church remains open at all time and has remained intact

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
I Hepinstall, Margaret River Heritage Group;"Nomination Form".
E Doncaster;"An Historical Record of all Place of Public Worship in th (Anglican) Diocese of Bunbury, the North-West and Kalgoorlie 1957-1969". Archives Acc 1781
Gail Cresswell;"The Light of the Leeuwin". Margaret River 1989

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
482 Historical sites in the Margaret River Augusta region : a photographic survey of documented and undocumented historical sites in the region carried out by students of the University of Western Australia, Department of Architecture. Heritage Study {Other} 1980

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel
Present Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel

Architectural Styles

Style
Inter-War Gothic

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall ASBESTOS Fibrous Cement, weatherboard

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Religion

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.