inHerit Logo

Cheriton Estate - Site of original building

Author

Shire of Gingin

Place Number

17899
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

Cheriton Rd Gingin

Location Details

Local Government

Gingin

Region

Avon Arc

Construction Date

Constructed from 1845

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Oct 2005 Category 4

Category 4

A site without built features, but of some cultural heritage significance to the Shire of Gingin.

Statement of Significance

The farm on SL 101 dates from 1843, the site of the original farmhouse is significant as a reminder of the original settlement in the Gingin area. Under a succession of ownerships, it remains an active farm.

Physical Description

Apart from a water channel running out of the Gingin Brook, there is little evidence of the house The materials were used in the construction of the Gooch House and the Manager's cottage. The arch over the original front door was rebuilt in the Gingin town.

History

The block was taken up by William Locke Brockman in 1843. The willow trees growing in the Brook are believed to have grown from switches planted by W.L. Brockman having been taken from trees at his home in Heme Hill. The original house is thought to have been built by David Gray circa 1845. The house had thick limestone walls and a shingle roof. It had large rooms with a detached kitchen - a cluster of rooms around including a men's rooms, store room, stables, coach house, hayshed, dairy, salt house, cow sheds and cow yards. As many as sixty cows were milked there in winter time.
An irrigation scheme was laid out in 1862 with a dam built upstream from the homested. The remains of two mill races exist on the east side of the Brook. The northern-most mill was built by Alfred Carson circa 1854. This mill was in operation and run by Mr Carson in 1856. A second mill was offered for sale or lease in 1867. It had been taken over by Charles Anslem Glover in 1859. He and his family lived in a brick cottage above the mill-race. Henry Brockman was managing Cheriton by the late 1860's

Condition

Site Only

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
H Udell: "History of Gingin".

Place Type

Historic Site

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use FARMING\PASTORAL Other

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof TIMBER Shingle
Wall STONE Limestone

Creation Date

02 Aug 2007

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.