inHerit Logo

Peninsula House

Author

Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes

Place Number

03202
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

767 Peninsula Rd Hester Brook

Location Details

Adjacent to Roebank P3201

Local Government

Bridgetown-Greenbushes

Region

South West

Construction Date

Constructed from 1920, Constructed from 1890

Demolition Year

2009

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions or Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 29 Mar 2018 Management Category C

Management Category C

Conservation of the place is desirable but not essential. Development proposals should reinforce the significance of the place, and original fabric should be retained wherever feasible. Record important elements prior to redevelopment or demolition, recognise and interpret if possible.

Municipal Inventory Adopted 28 Jun 2001 Category 2

Category 2

High level of protection appropriate: provide maximum encouragement to the owner under the town planning scheme to conserve the significance of the place.

Statement of Significance

This farm is of some significance for its historic and social values.
Aesthetic Value
This house was constructed in 1920 and has a pleasing outlook with the river down behind the house.
Historic Value
This farm is historically significant as the home of pioneering family John (Jack) and Louisa Walter, and as the prized farm of the whole district for numerous years before the turn of the nineteenth century.
Research Value
Although the original pre 1890 cottage was lost to fire in 2009, evidence of footings and living materials may remain subsoil.
Social Value
The Walters were known for their hospitality. Upon celebrating the completion of their new home in December 1920, they dedicated the occasion to the local Returned Soldiers, many of whom made up the 60 guests invited to the occasion.

Physical Description

Second house of Jack Walter. The Walter family were important to the agricultural development of the district. In 1890 Jack Walter and Maynard Jephson bought a 400 acre property called The Peninsular from a Mr Knox Brown. Jack married Louisa Emily Thompson and they lived in a two roomed wattle and daub cottage which they extended. This house was replaced by the existing weatherboard and iron house. Jack and Louisa were both prominent in many organisations throughout the district.

History

Jack Walter and Maynard Jepson bought the Peninsular house from A Knox Brown in 1890, with Jack buying out Jephson’s half share within a few years, following his marriage to Emily Louisa (Lou) Thomson of Brookhampton.
“Jack and Lou originally lived in a two roomed wattle and daub cottage, which they gradually extended as the family [of 6 surviving children] grew, carrying out major additions and renovation around 1902”. (Fran Taylor, Bridgetown The Early Years Book 2, pg. 213)
Jack’s success with the property meant he was able to expand his land with adjoining lots a number of times and for 6 years (1895 - c.1901) he was awarded the best farm in the district. Jack was also the President of the Nelson Road Board in 1906 and President of the Agricultural Society in 1923.
In 1904 Jack opened his business ‘JR Walter and Co.’, Auctioneers, Land Stock and Commission Agents, in Bridgetown and later Greenbushes. The family moved into town at this time, but moved back to the farm around 1909 when business was quiet.
Jack and Lou had a new house built in 1920 (pictured above). When the current owners bought the house in 2007 it had been vacant for some time with many doors missing (with the cows having made themselves at home.) They have been steadily restoring the house and gardens since then. The original missing doors and windows were returned to the property and restored. Both internally and externally the house and its original features have been restored authentically.
In 2009, bushfires destroyed the original wattle and daub cottage on the property, which was sited closer down to the river flat, where an old fig tree remains.

Integrity/Authenticity

High.
The property remains a working farm.
High.
The house is of high authenticity, considering the amount of restoration work which has taken place.

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Contemporary newspaper reports (trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper)
South West Times 1/01/1921
The Bunbury Herald and Blackwood Express 20/04/1920

Other Reference Numbers

Ref Number Description
No.R22 MI Place No.
A39897 Assess No (Shire Ref)

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall TIMBER Weatherboard
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
PEOPLE Early settlers
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Settlements

Creation Date

11 Sep 1992

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

24 Jul 2019

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.