inHerit Logo

Palace Hotel

Author

Shire of Wagin

Place Number

02639
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

Cnr Tudhoe St & Padbury Lane Wagin

Location Details

Local Government

Wagin

Region

Wheatbelt

Construction Date

Constructed from 1905

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Statewide Hotel Survey Completed 01 Nov 1997

Heritage Council
Municipal Inventory Adopted Category 3

Category 3

Place considered to have a lesser degree of significance; to be retained and conserved if possible, and the conservation of the significance of the place should also be encouraged through provisions of the town planning scheme. It is recommended that prior to any major changes to the place, or demolition, that a photographic record be taken of the place.

Statement of Significance

Palace Hotel is a fine example of the Federation Filigree style common in the Australian pub tradition as a two-storey hotel with verandahs, located on a prominent street corner. The aesthetic qualities of the place is enhanced by its landmark cupola.
The building is an important element in the streetscape of Tudhoe Street, enhanced by the verandah and balcony which extend over the pavement.
The place is aesthetically linked with the Federal Hotel on the opposite corner on the west side of the railway line, and Moran's Wagin Hotel, also facing the railway line on the west side on another prominent street corner, with its parapet and verandahs that extend over the pavement.
The place is a demonstration of the development that occurred in Wagin around the turn-of-the-century as it became the service centre of the district.

Physical Description

Palace Hotel is a two-storey building in Federation Filigree style.1 The building is located at the building line on the corner of Tudhoe Street and Fadbury Lane. The hotel is truncated at the corner and addresses both streets with an entrance off both streets aid at the truncation of the building.
The walls are rendered masonry, capped by a decorative parapet that extend the length of both street facades.
The main feature of the exterior of the building is a cupola above the building's truncation.
A concrete verandah and a tinber balcony extend over the footpath and wrap the street facades. The balcony is covered with a bullnosed roof covered in cgi. The balcony roof is supported on fine, stop-chamfered timber posts with capitals, and decorative cast-iron brackets. The posts are regularly spaced and divide the facade into bays. The balustrading is in the form of decorative cast-iron panels. The panels have been removed while conservation works are being undertaken. The balcony roof soffit is lined with cgi.
The balcony is supported by stop-chamfered timber posts at centres matching the posts above. The posts are devoid of any decoration. Originally, the posts were decorated with cast-iron brackets. The verandah soffit is lined with ripple-iron.
The openings on the exterior walls are two-light, double-hung sashes with single panes and curved heads. The mullions are in the form of columns with capitals. A vestibule forms the entrance into the saloon bar off Tudhoe Street The doorway contains etched glazing and leaded and stained glass side and fanlights.
The interior features a large arch supported by corinthian columns and a carved timber stair.
The building is undergoing conservation work.

History

The Palace Hotel was constructed in 1905, for Paddy. B. Durack who had a large estate east of Wagin called 'Behn Ord'2
The hotel was opened on 2 October 1905. The architect was F. N. Burwell and the contractor was W. G. Brigdale. The first licensee was Bobby Norris.3 During the opening toasts, Mr R. Sinclair, a member of the public, commented:
... it afforded him very great pleasure to congratulate Mr Durack on the enterprise which he had shown in having erected such a magnificent building, and he also had much pleasure in congratulating Mr Norris as the first licensee. Mr Sinclair also referred to the splendid advertisement which the new hotel was to the district, as passengers passing through in the trains and seeing such a building would necessarily be struck with the fact that a town which could support such a fine building must be endowed with a first-class back-bone in the shape of a rich and fertile agricultural district.4
A description of the building appeared in the same newspaper article:
The building is designed in the classic style of architecture, and presents a fine appearance to both streets. It consists of two stories throughout, with a verandah and balcony ten feet wide by a length of 132 feet, and affords a spacious promenade. Both elevations are finished with bold entablature, consisting of moulded architrave, frieze and cornice, the latter enriched with medallions, having piers, moulded panels, and vases at intervals. The central feature is the turret, which stands at the corner and rises to a height of 52 feet, and is of ornamental character, finished with dome and handsome iron finial with vane. The lower windows are of plate glass, with segmented heads. The main entrance doorway is of large dimensions, and glazed with embossed plate of ornamental design.5
The hotel comprised commercial room and dining room adjoining which was the kitchen. The public bar stands st the corner with saloon bar adjoining. There was also a billiard room and sample room. The accommodation included 16 bedrooms, a drawing room, two bath rooms, lavatories etc.
In March 1911, tenders were invited for additions and alterations to the Palace Hotel as, "it had been found necessary to enlarge it in order to meet the demand for accommodation at this popular hostelry".6 However, it is not known if these additions/alterations were carried out.
In 1996, the building still functions as a hotel and accommodation facilities are provided.

Integrity/Authenticity

INTEGRITY: High
AUTHENTICITY: Moderate

Condition

Fair

Associations

Name Type Year From Year To
F N Burwell Architect 1905 -

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
ibid
ibid
R Apperly, R Irving & P Reynolds;"A Pictorial Guide to Identifying Australian Architecture, Styles and Terms from 1788 to the Present". pp. 108-111 Angus & Robertson, Sydney 1989
ibid
"Southern Argus". p.2 4-3-1911
"Southern Argus". p.2 7-10-1905

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn
Original Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Filigree

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Common Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Hospitality industry & tourism

Creation Date

04 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.