inHerit Logo

Dewar's House

Author

Shire of Gingin

Place Number

01083
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

15 Weld St Gingin

Location Details

Other Name(s)

House
Railway Hotel, Dewar's House

Local Government

Gingin

Region

Avon Arc

Construction Date

Constructed from 1870

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
State Register Registered 29 Sep 1998 Register Entry
Assessment Documentation
Heritage Council

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Register of the National Estate Permanent 21 Oct 1980

Heritage Council
Classified by the National Trust Classified 03 May 1977

Heritage Council
Statewide Hotel Survey Completed 01 Nov 1997

Heritage Council
Municipal Inventory Adopted 17 Nov 1994 Category 1

Category 1

A place of exceptional cultural heritage significance to Shire of Gingin and the state of Western Australia, that is either in the Heritage Council of WA's Register of Heritage Places or worthy of consideration for entry in the Register. A development application needs to be submitted to the Heritage Council for any proposed development. Recommend: Retain and conserve the place. Full consultation with property owner prior to making the recommendation.

Statement of Significance

Originally owned by E.O. Cockram who built a store there, which remains in good condition. Mr. John Dewar bought it in 1880 and he built the two-storey wing with intention of running a Hotel to service the Midland Railway. It was not used for this purpose for very long but has remained in the Dewar family up until the present time. Dewars House, a single-storied brick and shingle Victorian Georgian house with a two-storied addition on the north side and a stone walled bam in the rear yard, is significant for the following reasons;
the place is important to the community for its aesthetic values imparted by colour and texture of its fabric and the contrasting elements of its form; the house, standing on high ground at the intersection of Weld Street and the railway line in a commanding position overlooking the town, has landmark qualities; the place is important for its illustration of the evolution of Gingin in its diverse roles as a home. Shop and Hotel; the place is important for its association with the Cockram and Oewar families; and it is important in contributing to the sense of place of the community.

Physical Description

Dewar’s House is a single-storied brick and shingle Victorian Georgian house with a two-storied addition on the north side and a stone walled barn in the rear yard.
Standing on high ground at the intersection of Weld Street and the railway line, the place is in a commanding position overlooking the town. The older part of the house is single-storied with a sawn sheoak shingle roof, which is hipped at the south end and abutts the blank south wall of the two-storey 1886 addition at the north end. There is a verandah running along the Weld street facade. The walls are of a light coloured brick, Flemish bonded. The two-storied addition has a steeply pitched sawn sheoak shingle hip roof, with 'broken-back' roofs over the two storied verandahs on the west and north facades. The windows are casement sashes. The brickwork is Flemish bond with a marked contrast between the light colour of the stretcher bricks and the dark colour of the header bricks.

History

Circa 1870, Mr. E.O. Cockram purchased this lot and built a casuarina stone building to be used as a store, a stone barn was built behind it. Mr. Cockram also built a colonial style brick home facing Weld St. There are three large rooms with smaller rooms at the rear and a long verandah facing west. The whole enterprise was sold in 1880 to John Dewar. It was also in 1880 that John Dewar engaged G. Butler and J. Meakins to erect a two-storey residence/Hotel on the north side of the existing home. James Horton of Muchea fired the bricks from clay, which was dug out of the gully across Weld St. This building was laid in Flemish Bond brickwork with two rooms downstairs and two rooms upstairs with a passage and staircase between. A large cellar exists beneath the kitchen and a stone well to the north- east side of the house. A stable and hayloft that stood to the rear of the house no longer exist. This building was erected in anticipation of the railway-passing close by and called the 'Railway Hotel' and granted a license as a General Public House in 1886. The large downstairs room was used as a bar-room having a long bar made of one piece of solid jarrah. The Hotel business was not continued for long as it interfered with family life. The property has been used in most part as a home for members of the Dewar family. John Dewar died in 1911 and his wife Selina died there in 1917. It was inherited by her daughter Mrs. W.J. King and transferred in 1927 to L.H.E. Dewar and has passed directly to his descendants. The present owner and occupier Mrs. Maxine Greville, maintains it as her family's private home. The house has been renovated including renewing the brickwork and replacing the iron roof with shingles.
The interior has been beautifully restored and furnished.

Condition

Very Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
H Udell: "History of Gingin". p 154 & 276

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use COMMERCIAL Shop\Retail Store {single}
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Two storey residence

Architectural Styles

Style
Victorian Georgian

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Other Brick
Roof TIMBER Shingle
Wall STONE Limestone

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

17 Mar 1998

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.