inHerit Logo

Edward Millen Home (fmr)

Author

Town of Victoria Park

Place Number

02176
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

15 Hill View Tce East Victoria Park

Location Details

Hillview Clinic 1968, WE Robinson Units 1983 covered by registration. Rotunda Hosputal, fumatory building & former ward block WA Atlas- 15 Hill View Tce & 43 Hill View Tce - new street address

Other Name(s)

Hillview Clinic, Rotunda Maternity Hospital
Mildred Creak Centre

Local Government

Victoria Park

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

Constructed from 1912

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage Agreement YES 15 Sep 2005 Text of the Heritage Agreement
Heritage Council
Heritage List Adopted 30 Sep 1998
State Register Registered 29 Jun 1999 Register Entry
Assessment Documentation
Heritage Council

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Classified by the National Trust Classified 01 Sep 1980

Heritage Council
Register of the National Estate Permanent 28 Sep 1982

Heritage Council
Municipal Inventory Adopted 14 Jul 1998 Category A

Category A

Worth of the highest level of protection: recommended for entry into the State Register of Heritage Places which gives legal protection; development requires consultation with the Heritage Council of WA and the local government; provide maximum encouragement to the owner under the Town of Victoria Park Planning Scheme to conserve the significance of the place. Incentives to promote conservation should be considered.

Statement of Significance

The Edward Millen Hospital has aesthetic, social and historic heritage significance. It maintains a prominent
situation being well set back from Albany Highway within large grounds. Architecturally the hospital has a
style unique to the Victoria Park district. The social and historic value of the hospital is found in the long ties
with supplying medical services, first as a maternity hospital and then as a repatriation service for returned
soldiers with mental problems. Psychiatric services continued into the 1990s.

Physical Description

Edward Millen Hospital is situated well back from Albany Highway and can be entered via a long drive lined
with an avenue of mature trees. A large parkland is located at the foreground of the hospital. The trees are
varied and mostly quite old. The grounds are well kept and include a children's playground.
The brick building is two-storey with a tile covered roof and verandahs on three sides supported by cast iron
posts. The interior features a jarrah staircase, pressed metal ceilings, mosaic tiles on the front porch, and
stained and leaded glass panels in the front door. The kitchen has been modernised, the iron lace on the
balcony has been replaced with asbestos, and various additions have been made at the rear of the building.

History

The land on which the Edward Millcn Hospital now stands was originally part of a parcel of land of 5,320
acres granted to Samuel Bicklcy in 1842. In 1854, Bickley sold the land to Hemy Manning for £532. The
land was then bought under the Transfer of Land Act of 1874. and in Januaiy 1885 a Certificate of Title was
issued to Lucius Manning of Fremantle. In quick succession, the land was bought and sold by an Adelaide
syndicate and a Sydney syndicate. The Sydney and West Australian Freehold Land Company Limited bought
the land with the intention of subdividing it, and selling the allotments. Lot C was bought by James Rae of
Perth in 1893. and in 1911 the land was sold to Mrs Elizabeth Baillie of Victoria Park for £650. Nurse
Baillie used the site to build the Rotunda Maternity Hospital.
The maternity hospital was called the Rotunda Maternity Hospital and first appears in the 1912 Post Office
Directory. The source of the name Rotunda is unknown. However, there is speculation that the name came
from the Rotunda Hospital in Dublin, Ireland, a large Maternity Hospital with a good reputation renowned
across Britain. Little can be found about the architect or builders of the hospital, although Mrs Baillie placed
an advertisement in the West Australian on 4 May 1912, for 100,000 bricks (more or less) and the
bricklayers to lay them. The labour ward was on the top floor of the building accessed by a flight of stairs.
In 1919. the Spanish Influenza Epidemic hit Perth and the hospital was taken over by the State Government
and ran by the Perth Public Hospital. On 6 May 1920, the property and building became a compulsory
purchase of the Commonwealth Government. At this time, the land approximately 31 acres, was considered
to be worth £1.100 and the hospital buildings £3,700. Total estimated cost was £4.800 and Mrs Baillie was
paid £5,000. The new owner was the Repatriation Department, and the hospital was a satellite of the
Hollywood Repatriation Hospital. The existing building was converted to accommodation for the staff, and a
wooden chalet style ward was added to accommodate sixteen tubercular patients.
The hospital was named the Edward Millen Home, in 1924. in honour of the first Minister of Repatriation.
The hospital then became a sanatorium for ex-service personnel who had contracted tuberculosis. In 1936,
further additions to the hospital were made in order to make space for more staff and patients, and two extra
timber wards were added.
Throughout 1934 and 1935. the plan for the extension of Berwick Street through Edward Millen Home land
was discussed and debated by the Commonwealth Government and the City of Perth. The plan was the
suggestion of Harold Boas (Chairman of the Town Planning Committee) and W E Bold (Town Clerk of the
City of Perth). In 1936. the agreement was signed between the Commonwealth of Australia and the City of
Perth that the Commonwealth would sell the City thirteen acres of land for £500, to use for the road
extension and for a park.
During 1942, when the war scare was at its height, the patients at the home were transferred to Wooroloo and
the property handed over to the Perth Hospital Authorities. However, accommodation was in short supply at
Wooroloo so the tubercular patients were brought back to the Edward Millen Home in 1943, though control of
the sanatorium remained in the hands of the State Government. This remained the case until 1949, when the
Repatriation Commission again took control of the Home, and it continued as a sanatorium for TB patients.
In 1960, the patients were all transferred to the Hollywood Repatriation Hospital, and the Edward Millen
Home was converted to a hospital for special cases of patients not requiring the full nursing or medical
attention of a general hospital.
A new building ('D' Ward) was added in 1968, for the use of psychiatric patients, and was used for this
purpose until 1971, when those admissions were discontinued. It then housed the physiotherapy and
occupational therapy departments, an office, a dining room, lounge and eight beds.
The Edward Millen Home remained part of the Repatriation Department until 1982, when the Health
Department took over. In 1984 the Edward Millen Hospital was renamed Hillview and opened as a division
of the Mental Health Services. It brought together 4 units of the Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Divisions.
The Edward Millen Home (Hillview) in 1998 stood unoccupied and was the much discussed centre of a
number of proposals for future development.

Integrity/Authenticity

INTEGRITY: Good

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
"Hillview:- pamplet
"Newspaper Article". Southern Gazette, March 17, 1992
TS Louch; "the Early History of the Site of the Edward Millen Home.". LSC Victoria Park Library
Australian Heritage Commission Assessment Australian Heritage Commission March 1996

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
5275 Hillview, Victoria Park : conservation plan. Heritage Study {Cons'n Plan} 2001
2840 Hillview : East Victoria Park : conservation plan. Heritage Study {Cons'n Plan} 1997
10184 Edward Millen: Block B, D, G and H Conservation works report 2012
7635 Images CD No. 40 : Edward Millen home (fmr) 2003, 2005. C D Rom 0

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use HEALTH Housing or Quarters
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Institutional Housing
Original Use HEALTH Hospital

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Queen Anne

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Common Brick
Roof TILE Terracotta Tile

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Settlements
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Community services & utilities

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

02 Feb 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.