inHerit Logo

Town Clock

Author

Shire of Katanning

Place Number

07090
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

Cnr Austral Tce & Clive St Katanning

Location Details

Local Government

Katanning

Region

Great Southern

Construction Date

Constructed from 1956

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 25 Jan 1996 Category 2

Category 2

• Of very considerable significance to the Shire of Katanning. • High level of protection appropriate.

Municipal Inventory Adopted 25 Jan 1996 Category 2

Category 2

• Of very considerable significance to the Shire of Katanning. • High level of protection appropriate.

Statement of Significance

The Town Clock has historical and social significance, in that it recognises the efforts and contribution of women in the shire. Its significance also lies in the fact that it was only through community effort and spirit that the erection of the clock was made possible.

Physical Description

The memorial clock is constructed from large granite slabs and has four clock faces. An iron weather vane sits on the top. The clock tower is slightly tapered and stands on a three-tiered concrete pedestal.

History

During the Commonwealth Jubilee celebrations in 1951, the community of Katanning decided to erect a memorial to the pioneer women of the district. A committee was formed to raise the money, the responsibility of this eventually being given to the Katanning Historical Society.
The total cost of the clock can to £1,458 9s 8d, half of which was raised by the community donations and the balance was raised by way of rating. The construction of the clock began in 1955, with the board employees helping with the work. The historical society arranged for the bronze plaque and Mr L F W Quartermaine, local jeweller and watchmaker, won the contract in December of that year to service and supervise the running of the clock. He was to be paid £10 per annum for his services, which included the provision of batteries.
Sister Elizabeth Grover unveiled the Town Clock on Friday 16th March 1956. Elizabeth Grover was born at "Indinup" and was at the time of the unveiling, the oldest surviving daughter of William Grover, who was one of the first settlers in the shire and the second policeman to be stationed at Police Pools. After the ceremony, which was attended by about 200 people, tea was served in the Town Hall.
The plaque reads::
This memorial was erected by the people of Katanning and Districts to honour their pioneer women especially those bush nurses whose unselfish devotion to their fellows should never be forgotten. 16th March 1956.

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
"Newspaper Article". Great Southern Herald, 23/03/56,
"Newspaper Article" Great Southern herald; 16/12/55
Nomination form

Place Type

Other Built Type

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use MONUMENT\CEMETERY Monument
Original Use MONUMENT\CEMETERY Monument

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall STONE Granite
Other CONCRETE Concrete Block
Other METAL Bronze

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Community services & utilities
PEOPLE Early settlers

Creation Date

27 May 1997

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.