inHerit Logo

Seamen's Rest

Author

City of Fremantle

Place Number

00948
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

28 Marine Tce Fremantle

Location Details

ALSO PART OF 14385

Other Name(s)

Sailors' Rest

Local Government

Fremantle

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

Constructed from 1899

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 2

Level 2

The City of Fremantle has identified this place as being of considerable cultural heritage significance in its own right within the context of Fremantle and its conservation is a priority.

Statement of Significance

The place has social and historic significance as a building erected to provide a rest home for sailors and for associations with the Women's Christian Temperance Union. The place has aesthetic significance as an unusual example of a building in the Federation Arts and Crafts style that has probably been extensively altered.

Physical Description

Two storey rendered building with a zincalume hipped roof behind the highly bracketed parapet and pediment. A recessed central bay containing the main entrance of the building rises above the parapet.There are two arched windows in the west side of the façade with multi paned fanlights and sided by pairs of small engaged columns, windows in the east side are probably not original. Visual inspection suggests that the building has been extensively altered.

History

The Sailors' Rest home came about because of the efforts of Mrs T. Smith, a member of the Fremantle branch of the Women's Christian Temperance Union (WCTU). Land was demanded from the government, and the building was constructed with funds raised by public subscription. The foundation stone was laid by Sir John Forrest on 9 October 1899. W. A. Nelson, Architect, T. Game, Builder.
Later owned by British Sailors' Society Fremantle Branch. Brick additions 1942 by Allen & Nicholas Architects. The façade and windows were changed in 1958, and brick additions built along Croke Lane by Cameron Chisholm & Nicol.
Currently (2002), Port Lodge, Notre Dame University.

Condition

Good.

Associations

Name Type Year From Year To
W A Nelson Architect - -
Allen & Nicholas, 1942 additions Architect - -

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Multistorey residence
Original Use SOCIAL\RECREATIONAL Other Community Hall\Centre
Present Use SOCIAL\RECREATIONAL Other Community Hall\Centre
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Institutional Housing

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Free Classical

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall RENDER Smooth
Wall BRICK Common Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Community services & utilities
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Sport, recreation & entertainment

Creation Date

03 Oct 1988

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.