inHerit Logo

Blue Waters - House


City of South Perth

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


426 Canning Hwy Como

Location Details

Local Government

South Perth



Construction Date

Constructed from 1951

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 14 Nov 2000 Category B

Category B

Worthy of a high level of protection

Statement of Significance

Residence: 426 Canning Highway - ‘Blue Waters’ has aesthetic, representative and rarity cultural heritage significance. It has been recognised by a number of heritage and architectural professionals for its unusual design style. It has high streetscape value and is a fine representative of functionalist architecture. Residences of this design style with such high integrity and few changes to the original external plan are rare in the City of South Perth.

Physical Description

The Residence: 426 Canning Highway - ‘Blue Waters’ is situated on Canning Highway set back some distance from the road. It has a dominant curved (almost circular) two storey section with a one storey wing. The single garage is situated under the house. The mature palm trees that are the main feature of the landscaping in the front yard appear to fit with the almost nautical feel of the house.
This Residence: 426 Canning Highway - ‘Blue Waters’ has many features that place it in the Functionalist/Art Deco design style category. These include asymmetrical massing, simple geometric shapes, long horizontal balcony (similarities to a ship), roof concealed behind parapet, rounded corner and windows with curved glass and aluminium frames.
The house, though built in 1951, has the classic lines of a style of architecture first introduced in the 1920s and 1930s, which emphasised functionalism, clean lines and a complete disassociation from the past.


Despite this Residence: 426 Canning Highway - ‘Blue Waters’ being recognised by two eminent architectural authorities as 1930s design style, it appears the house was actually built in 1951. It has been described as having functionalist, Art Deco and International Cubist characteristics.






Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Apperly, R. Irving, R. Reynolds, P. "A Pictorial Guide to Identifying Australian Architecture" Angus and Robertson NSW 1989
Molyneux, I. "Looking Around Perth: A Guide to the Architecture of Perth & Surrounding Towns" Royal Institute of Architects 1981

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Two storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Two storey residence

Architectural Styles

Inter-War Functionalist

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

07 Jan 1997

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

01 Jan 2017


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.