Fairbridge Rd Fairbridge
southern side approximately 2km from South Western Highway
Constructed from 1942
|Municipal Inventory||Adopted||25 Aug 2011||Category D||
WWII Airfield has historic significance through the role the site played in Western Australia’s
contribution to the war efforts in World War II.
Sealed strip, now overgrown in paddock. Part of what was once the airstrip now an access
track. At the southern end stands a livestock holding pen and loading facilities; at the
northern end is a loading ramp. Now disused.
One strip was located on Lot 39 Fairbridge Road, whilst the other strip ran in a north-east to south-west direction immediately west of South-Western Highway.
Several underground fuel tanks, including one east of the Pinjarra Railway Station (near
Was considered a major airfield with two main landing strips plus taxiing ways. Played an
important role in the military history of the State.
The decision to construct the airstrip was made in March 1942 after the bombing of Broome.
It was to serve as a satellite airfield should the main airbase at Pearce be attacked.
|Ref ID No||Ref Name||Ref Source||Ref Date|
|Richard, R. "Murray and Mandurah"||Shire of Murray and City of Mandurah||1993|
|Present Use||Transport\Communications||Air: Other|
|Original Use||Transport\Communications||Air: Other|
|TRANSPORT & COMMUNICATIONS||Air transport|
This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.