Balloons Bunbury silho Freo Rail station Govt house Marvel Bar Rotto Swan building
inHerit Logo

WESTPAC BANK (FMR), 66-70 HIGH STREET

Print this record

Author

City of Fremantle

Place Number

00919
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

66-70 High St Fremantle

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Commercial Bank of Australia

Local Government

Fremantle

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

1908 to 0

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Town Planning Scheme YES 08 Mar 2007

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 1B

Level 1B

The City of Fremantle has identified this place as being of exceptional cultural heritage significance in its own right within the context of Fremantle and its conservation is required. It is recommended that this place be considered for entry in the Heritage Council of Western Australia's Register of Heritage Places.

Register of the National Estate Permanent 21 Oct 1980 NA

NA

Classified by the National Trust Classified 27 May 1974 NA

NA

Municipal Inventory Adopted 14 Oct 2000 Recommend RHP

Recommend RHP

Statement of Significance

The place is historically significant as a former bank representing the development of Fremantle’s Old Port City as a centre of commerce and trade from the gold boom period of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The place is a fine example of a Federation Free Classical style building, with elaborate stucco decoration above the ground floor level, that makes a significant contribution to the streetscape. The place is significant because, when viewed from the street, it is a substantially intact example of a federation period commercial building which contributes to the very significant Old Port City of Fremantle. The place is a significant landmark in the Old Port City of Fremantle.The place is of social significance as evidenced by its classification by the National Trust.

Physical Description

Two storey building on corner site. The first floor façade has elaborate stucco decoration, a parapet with balustrade and pilastered and stucco arched windows have decorative stucco above and engaged low piers below. No 66 addresses the corner The awning over the ground floor shops at 68-70 are not original.

History

High Street was named by Surveyor General Roe - as was customary in English towns, the main street of the town was named High Street. Eastward from William Street the roadway was completed by convict labour after the Town Hall was built in 1887. High Street around the Town Hall closed to traffic in 1966. The High Street Mall was trialled in November 1973 and made a permanent pedestrian mall in 1975.
The building is known as the former Commonwealth Bank of Australia, though rate books do not show the bank owning or using a portion of the building as banking premises until 1925-26. There has been some variance in the information regarding No. 66 High Street. The National Trust lists the original owner as the estate of E. H. Fothergill and the date of construction, 1906. Mr F. W. Burwell is listed as the architect and J. McCracken the builder.
However, research carried out at the Fremantle and Battye libraries indicates that the property was owned by Frederick Mason from 1882-1921. Mason alias May (c1829-1921) was a Fremantle jeweller and entrepreneur owning considerable property in the Fremantle and North Fremantle areas. Between 1906-08 considerable building activity occurred along High Street. On 22 February 1908, mention is made in the WA Mining Building and Engineering Journal (WAMBEJ) that plans for the erection of two-storey shops and residential premises on the corner of High and Pakenham streets, had been completed by Mr J. McNeece and tenders were to be invited shortly. By May 1908 the tender had been accepted by Mr J. P. Anderson for the erection of four shops for Mr F. Mason at a price of £5, 546. Preliminary works had started by 30 May and on 15 August the WAMBEJ reported that Mr Anderson was pushing ahead and the brickwork was well forward. By October 1908, the work was practically completed. Constructed of brick with cement dressings, the premises consisted of four two-storey shops with residential premises above. Late in November 1908, Mr McNeece handed over the building to the owner, Mr Mason.
Currently (2013), various retail and commercial outlets.

Condition

Good.

Associations

Name Association Type Date From Date To
John McNeece 5744 Architect - -

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present COMMERCIAL Shop\Retail Store {single}
Original COMMERCIAL Other
Present COMMERCIAL Bank
Original COMMERCIAL Bank

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Academic Classical
Federation Free Classical

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Other GLASS Glass
Wall RENDER Smooth

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Commercial & service industries

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Viewing Status

Approved

Last Update

19 Apr 2013

Disclaimer

This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.