inHerit Logo

Mahogany Inn

Author

Shire of Mundaring

Place Number

01693
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

4260 Great Eastern Hwy Mahogany Creek

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Mahogany Inn Hotel
Prince of Wales, Oxford Inn

Local Government

Mundaring

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

Constructed from 1854, Constructed from 1898

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2016
State Register Permanent 09 Sep 2003 Register Entry
Assessment Documentation
Heritage Council

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Statewide Hotel Survey Completed 01 Nov 1997

Heritage Council
Classified by the National Trust Classified 11 Jun 1973

Heritage Council
Register of the National Estate Permanent 21 Mar 1978

Heritage Council
Municipal Inventory Adopted 22 Apr 1997 1 - Exceptional significance

1 - Exceptional significance

Rare or outstanding example; essential to the heritage of the locality Expectations: The place should be retained and conserved. Any alterations or extensions should reinforce the significance of the place and be in accordance with a Conservation Plan if one is in place.

Statement of Significance

The Old Mahogany Inn has very high aesthetic, social and historic significance for the Shire of Mundaring and the State. The location and setting have identifiable landmark qualities which add to its aesthetic significance. The role the inn has played, along the route leading to the early agricultural and development areas of the State, has important social and historic significance together with high authenticity and representativeness of the place. Associations with local identities such as the Byfields, and important State figures of the day, such as the Chief Justice S.H. Parker, further adds to the significance of the place.

Physical Description

The Mahogany Inn sits on the south side of the Great Eastern Highway in spacious, simply laid out gardens. Some of the large trees on the site feature in early paintings and photographs of the property and therefore add to its setting and probably its significance.
The original barracks, and later the inn, are still visible and identifiable from the front of the property. The building's Colonial Georgian character is reflected in the low, red painted corrugated iron, hipped roof and the 'whitewashed' rendered stone walls with narrow, vertical windows. Across the front the long veranda (supported on backward leaning timber columns) terminates at each end against parapet walls on the leanto wings down the sides of the old inn. All the recent buildings have been incorporated at the rear so that on the whole the appearance of the front of the building is much as it has been for over a hundred and fifty years.
The new buildings provide restaurant, function and reception room facilities catering for up to 120 guests attached across the rear of the original building and twelve accommodation units further up the sloping site to the east. Whilst the additions are of unmistakably recent origins, they do confuse the transition internally between the old and new elements. More clearly defined separation would identity the significance of the original fabric. The additions were well intentioned for their time (in the 1970's) in trying to create "old world charm"; however, today they have the urbane, white render and heavy timber appearance of'Spanish' and 'Swiss' style project housing of the period. The dark interiors of the new reception and function rooms are decorated with a collection of early farming implements and lifestyle artifacts that provide useful interpretive information but not in any apparent specific context.
The old Mahogany Inn building itself is in sound but susceptible condition and construction of the new reception facilities has taken away the pressure of constant use. This has added considerably to the survival of the original fabric which is largely intact. The original rooms on the ground floor are now only used for small private functions in either the dining room or bar. The low, leanto eastern wing, is set up for display and viewing with old furniture and artifacts of earlier periods. Upstairs the two attic rooms are closed from public access because of their deteriorating condition particularly to the very low ceilings and walls of wattle or tea tree lathing with mud/horse hair plaster. Previously these rooms were also available for viewing and old furniture and memorabilia is still in place.

History

The first permanent building to be established at the site known as Mahogany Inn, was a granite barracks, with separate kitchen and store, to house patrols for the protection of travellers on the Guildford to York road. The site was also convenient to a road which branched off to Northam. Established in 1839, the Mahogany Creek Barracks were abandoned in September 1841, and in November 1842, Perth merchants William and Robert Habgood purchased 320 acres (100 ha) of land surrounding the former barracks, setting up a "Road-side House".

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: high - although the additions at the rear obscure the original fabric which is still largely intact.
Modifications: Various alterations and additions including recent reception and accommodation units.

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
MHHS files "Mahogany Creek", "Old York Road".
ct Stannage; "The People of Perth". pp. 222-224 PCC Perth 1979
HW Baker; "The Early Days of Mahogany Creek".
n & W Conway; "The Old Mahogany Inn Museum & Tearooms".
I Elliot; ibid. pp 22-26, 29-36, 39-41, 44-45, 148-152, 245.

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
9507 Mahogany Inn, Mahogany Creek, Western Australia: conservation works final report 2009. Conservation works report 2009
7741 Mahogany Inn conservation works: final report. Conservation works report 2006
7263 Mahogany Inn, Mahogany Creek : conservation plan. Heritage Study {Cons'n Plan} 2005

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use MILITARY Barracks
Present Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn
Other Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn

Architectural Styles

Style
Victorian Georgian

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Roof TIMBER Shingle
Wall BRICK Rendered Brick
Wall STONE Local Stone
Wall RENDER Other Render

Historic Themes

General Specific
OUTSIDE INFLUENCES World Wars & other wars

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

10 Feb 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.