inHerit Logo

Knocknagow

Author

Town of East Fremantle

Place Number

00803
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

24 Preston Point Rd East Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government

East Fremantle

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

Constructed from 1899, Constructed from 1902

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
State Register Registered 24 Jul 2001 Register Entry
Assessment Documentation
Heritage Council

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Nov 1997 Category A

Category A

High heritage significance at a local level, and having potential State Heritage significance; informed consideration should be given to nomination for State Register listing prior to or at the time of consideration for further development, and prior determination of any significant development application for the place. Places to be generally retained and conserved, and worthy of a high level of protection. Conservation Plans may be required depending on relative significance and apparent impact of development on the place; detailed Heritage Assessments otherwise required as corollary to any development application. Strong encouragement to the owner under the Town of East Fremantle Planning Scheme to conserve the significance of the place. Incentives to promote heritage conservation should be considered where necessary to achieve desirable conservation outcomes in context of permissible development.

Register of the National Estate Permanent 28 Sep 1982

Heritage Council
Classified by the National Trust Classified 07 May 1979

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE
Knocknagow, a single storey rendered masonry construction and Zincalume custom orb roofed residence in the Federation Queen Anne bungalow style with a belvedere and associated single storey former stables, has cultural heritage significance for the following reasons:
1. The place is significant for its elevated and prominent siting, dramatic approach from the street and as a fine Federation Queen Anne style bungalow;
2. with its tall belvedere, the place has a distinctive landmark quality;
3. the place was acquired by Mary Agnes Mulcahy in 1902, and was occupied by the Mulcahy family, prominent Fremantle and East Fremantle identities, for nearly 80 years;
4. it is valued by the community as evidenced by its inclusion in heritage listings and the concerns expressed when the demolition of the stables were under consideration; and,
5. the place is rare as one of a small number of Federation Queen Anne houses with a finely detailed tall belvedere.
The two houses and landscape developed on the Lot 2 to the south of Knocknagow are considered to have low significance.
AESTHETIC SIGNIFICANCE
No 24 Preston Point Road has exceptional aesthetic value as a Federation Queen Anne style house. Knocknagow is significant for its elevated and prominent siting and dramatic approach from the street. It retains most of the characteristic features of a dwelling of the type and period.
HISTORIC SIGNIFICANCE
No 24 Preston Point Road has exceptional historic value. The place has associations with the Mulachy Family. It was part of the suburban residential development associated with the expansion of East Fremantle and the subdivision of Walter Easton’s Estate from 1901.
SCIENTIFIC SIGNIFICANCE
N/A
SOCIAL SIGNIFICANCE
No 24 Preston Point Road has exceptional social value. It contributes to the community as a well known landmark on Preston Point Road and East Fremantle. It is associated with a significant area of middle class federation and Inter-War period development which contributes to community's sense of place.
RARITY
No 24 Preston Point Road is rare.

Physical Description

Federation Queen Anne

Knocknagow is a single storey rendered masonry construction and Zincalume custom orb roofed residence in the Federation Queen Anne bungalow style with a belvedere and associated single storey former stables. It is rare as one of a small number of Federation Queen Anne houses with a finely detailed tall belvedere.

No 24 Preston Point Road, Knocknagow, is a house constructed in rendered masonry with a hipped corrugated iron roof. Some rear sections of the place have limestone wall infill with brick quoins. The house is designed in the Federation Queen Anne style. It is uniquely designed and does not fit in with the typology precisely. It is symmetrically planned with a central door and hopper light flanked by sidelights. The facade features a full width return bull nose roofed verandah. The verandah is supported on timber posts without decorative treatments. There is a pair of bay windows distributed symmetrically about the front door. The bay windows feature French doors and double hung sash windows. The bay windows extend above the verandah to form a parapet. A gable is located centrally on the verandah and marks the entry.
Above the entry at the second storey is an octagonal planned room. There is a belvedere located above this room. The room is constructed in timber framing with weatherboard cladding. The octagonal belvedere is open with a timber handrail and cast iron panel balustrade. The roof has a low pitch and terminates with a decorative finial. The roofscape is further enriched with tall stucco finished chimneys.
The place retains its form and most of its details. There are additions to the rear.
The place is consistent with the building pattern in the Precinct. The place plays an important role in the pattern of development of a middle class suburb.

History

Demographic Settlements: Residential Subdivision

In September 1883 Stephen Henry Parker and James Morrison of Perth commenced subdivision of 65 acres of land to the north of Canning Road. The subdivision occurred at Swan Locations 63, 176, 219 and the south western portion of Swan Location 306. The subdivision included Preston Point Road, Alcester Gardens, Wolsely Gardens, Victoria Road, Alexandra Road, Parry Avenue, and Salvado Avenue.
The Richmond Precinct was owned by Walter Easton and was named after the town of Richmond where Easton lived in England. In 1901 Easton’s sons subdivided Windsor Estate. New streets to the subdivision of the Windsor Estate were named after various members of the Easton family; Walter, Gill, Stratford and Morgan (later Osborne Road).
Initially lot sizes were generous but sold at a slow rate. The initial development of the Richmond Precinct occurred at Canning Highway and Preston Point Road. Substantial residences were developed on these streets giving precedence to the future development of Richmond. The distinct architecture of Canning Highway and Preston Point Road distinguish Richmond from the surrounding area.
By 1913 there were approximately 40 residences in the area between Preston Point Road and Alexandra Road. Osborne Road, Windsor Road and Gill Street had several buildings apiece by 1913. By 1931 approximately half the lots were developed. In 1921 Richmond Primary School was developed between Windsor and Osborne Road and several Inter-War residences were developed in the immediate area. In the 1930s the Workers’ Homes’ Board developed a number of weatherboard, asbestos, brick and tiled residences. Inter-War style front porches were preferred over Federation style full width verandahs.
Redevelopments have occurred throughout the Richmond Precinct. Large lot sizes have allowed Richmond to be subject to the redevelopment of group and multiple housing. However, significant clusters of heritage dwellings remain throughout.
No 24 Preston Point Road, Knocknagow was constructed in 1899 for Allan Murray Ayles. This follows the gold rushes in Western Australian and occurred during the latter stages of the construction of Fremantle Harbour.
Knocknagow was acquired by Mary Agnes Mulcahy in 1902. It was occupied by the Mulcahy family for nearly 80 years. Mary Mulcahy’s husband, Daniel, was prominent in Fremantle and in the Irish Catholic community. Their home hosted many visiting dignitaries.
Knocknagow demonstrates a high level of achievement in the Federation Queen Anne style. The place is especially distinguished by the well-executed belvedere and the fine proportions of the house.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: High
Authenticity: Moderate - High

Condition

Excellent

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Original Use FARMING\PASTORAL Stable

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Queen Anne

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Zincalume
Other TIMBER Other Timber
Wall BRICK Rendered Brick
Wall STONE Limestone

Historic Themes

General Specific
PEOPLE Local heroes & battlers
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Depression & boom
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Immigration, emigration & refugees

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

09 Apr 2018

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.