inHerit Logo

Billabalong Station

Author

Shire of Murchison

Place Number

01697
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

Off Mullewa-Murchison Rd approx 144k N of Mullewa

Location Details

Local Government

Murchison

Region

Midwest

Construction Date

Constructed from 1880, Constructed from 1916

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 27 Jun 1996 Category 2

Category 2

High level of protection appropriate: provide maximum encouragement to the owner to conserve the significance of the place.

Statement of Significance

The Billabalong Station has high historic significance as one of the oldest stations in the Murchison district and for it's associations with Angus Campbell, a leading citizen of the district. Although the homestead has been altered over the years, revealing the changing fortunes if the pastoral industry as well as the requirements of the owners, it's large scale, surrounding verandahs and semi-circular roof lines are characteristic of a number of Murchison stations. Furthermore, the groupings of buildings is evident of the way stations operated int he past, with a small community of people living and working on the station.

Physical Description

The Billabalong Statation comprises the original homestead, a 1960s house, a swimming pool, a store, meat house, three worker's cottages, a blacksmith's shope which is now used as a workshop, a large shearing shed and shearer's quarters. The Homestead is a large building of hand -made concrete block construction with variated edges which has been redered in part. Surrounding verandahs, which are supported on timber stop chamfered posts, have been partly enclosed on the north-east and south-west corners for modern use. The corrugated iron dutch gable roof extends to cover the verandahs and features symmetrical gablets particularly evident to the south elevation. Timber framed french doors open out ont the verandahs while large, double hung, timber framed windows considting of 8 panes reflect the style of the doors. A breezeway separates the main building from two smaller buildings also of concrete block construction. Both buildings have distinctive semi-circular corrugated iron roofs with mono-pitched verandah roofs extending form the top of the walls. The veranday posts to this section are simple metal poles. A storeroom of similar construction stands adjacent. The fenced garden of the Homestead includes a stone swimming pool and a Meat House of brick and corrugated iron construction with timber posts and a steeply pitched roof. To the east of the Homestead is a house built c1960s which has asbestos walls and roof with surrounding verandahs. To the north of the Homestead stand several farm buildings including the former blacksmith's shop which also features a semi-circular corrugated iron roof and brocken back verandah roof. The large corrugated iron shearing shed is located to the south of the Homestead and includes an original internal stone wall.

History

Located approximately 144 km north of Mullewa, the Billabalong Station is one of the oldest Murchison stations. This property was originally settled in c1880 by LC Burges of Northampton. He sold his leases in c1888 following which the property was sold a further time. In 1913 Billabalong was divided into two properties, with the northern part becoming known as Meeberrie.The remaining southern portion continued to be known as Billabalong and was bought by the Darlot brothers. In 1916 Angus Campbell took over the property on behalf of Campbell, Duff & Co. By this time a large stone shearing shed and a substantial stone house had been established there. Campbell's hard work resulted in Billabalong becoming one of the best stations in the district. The present Billabalong Homestead was mainly constructed by Angus Campbell. The homestead originally incorporated two old mud brick rooms which were removed in c1940, due to badly fretting walls. Angus Campbell, who was a leading citizen of the district and a long time chairman of the Roads Board, was a skilled blacksmith and was responsible for the curving and semi-circular roofs of the homestead and outbuildings. When Campbell died in 1939 his sons, Mack and Robert managed the property at different times, until 1962 when the station was sold to AC & AG Robinson. The Robinsons owned it for a decade before selling tp the Billabalong pastoral Company. (Road to Murchison, pp 86-88)

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: Medium
Modifications: Verandahs partly enclosed

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
BL-Q994.16 Nixon M & Lefroy R; "Road to Murchison: An Illustrated Story of the District and it's people". pp.86-88 Vanguard Press 1988

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use FARMING\PASTORAL Homestead
Original Use FARMING\PASTORAL Homestead

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Grazing, pastoralism & dairying
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

01 Feb 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.