Local Government
Quairading
Region
Wheatbelt
Main Rd Pantapin
Quairading
Wheatbelt
Constructed from 1916, Constructed from 1930
Type | Status | Date | Documents | More information |
---|---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Grading/Management | More information | |
---|---|---|---|---|---|
Category | Description | ||||
Municipal Inventory | Adopted | 18 Apr 1996 | Category 3 |
Category 3 |
The place is representative of the community that once existed in Pantapin. The place demonstrates changing customs and ways of life. The significance of the place being the communication centre for the mail and the telephone, is considerable. The association with the pioneers of the district is significant.
In 1916 a small timber framed, heavily tar papered walls and iron roof structure was constructed on the site. In 1920 a timber store was built on the site, and by 1930 cement bricks were built around the timber building and when completed, the timber walls were removed.
The Everitt family settled close to the area reserved for the railway siding about 1910. They were joined by their daughter, Amelia Adelaide Sumner and her husband shortly afterwards. In 1915 Amelia was appointed the "telephone office keeper" at Ulakine (later known as Pantapin) However a condition was that she had to provide the necessary accommodation, hence a small office in 1916. In that year she was notified that with the opening of a mail receiving office, she could be in charge and receive remuneration. At that time the Sumners added some food stocks'to"their little office, and business increased. The larger store in 1920, and again in 1930 attest to the increasing business. In 1924 they opened the phone exchange, previously the telephone box was in the store and only useable during office hours. In 1925, the Sumners advertised their store for sale together with the 1000 acres of land on which it was located. He quoted the turnover at £30 per month. That year they got a Western Australian newspaper agency. About this time other shops were establishing in Pantapin; Walsley's general store and Falconer's shop. Amelia and Joe Sumner planted a row of gum trees on the south side of the township road, and faithfully watered them by buckets for a number of years. The trees are still there, opposite the shop. Being in close proximity to the hall, the Sumners were the honorary caretakers of the hall.