36 Wray Av Fremantle
Constructed in 1897
|Heritage List||YES||08 Mar 2007|
|Classified by the National Trust||Classified||06 Oct 1980||
|Register of the National Estate||Permanent||28 Sep 1982||
|Municipal Inventory||Adopted||18 Sep 2000||Level 2||
House, 36 Wray Avenue, is a typical timber and iron single storey house dating from 1897. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the typical workers' houses in the Fremantle area. The place is an example of the Victorian Georgian style of architecture.
36 Wray Avenue is a single storey timber and iron house constructed in 1897 in the Victorian Georgian style of architecture. The walls are timber framed and clad with ashlar effect timber boards. The roof is hipped and clad with corrugated iron. The verandah is under a separate corrugated iron roof supported by timber posts with decorative timber brackets and frieze. The symmetrical front façade has a central front door with side and fanlights flanked on either side by timber framed casement windows. There are two face brick chimneys evident. The house is elevated from the street level and a set of brick steps lead up to the verandah level. There is a rendered masonry wall to the front boundary line.
Wray Avenue was originally Hampton Street. The named was changed to avoid confusion with the intersecting Hampton Road. It became Alexander Road, after Laurence Alexander, Mayor 1901-1902, and a representative of Falk & Co. The street name was again changed to avoid confusion with Alexandra Road in East Fremantle, and became Wray Avenue in 1923. It was named for William E Wray, at one time with the Education Dept as Truant Inspector, and a resident of the street. He was on the Fremantle Tramways Board and Mayor of Fremantle, 1914-1918.
House, 36 Wray Avenue was formerly numbered 38 Wray Avenue; renumbering occurred in 1934/35.
House, 36 Wray Avenue was built in 1897 for the owner and occupier Caroline Wade, a dressmaker and widow. The house, or villa, consisted of 7 rooms at the time of construction. Caroline Wade was the owner or the place until at least 1911 and the occupant at that time was Edward Maxfield. He became the owner of the place in the 1920s and he and his family were associated with the place until at least the 1950s.
The 1908 sewerage plan of this site shows the timber house has basically a simple rectangular form with a verandah at the front and portion of the rear. Steps provide access to the front of the house and a stone retaining wall is present on the front boundary. In the back yard were a small galvanised iron shed, a small timber shed and a timber closet.
This place was identified by the Fremantle Society in 1979/80 as being of cultural heritage significance. (Coded: Purple: "Of architectural and historic significance in its own right.”)
A photograph of the house in 1979 shows that it was in relatively poor condition. It had a corrugated iron roof and some of the external walls were clad in asbestos. The limestone foundations were rendered.
On 8 September 1980 the building was assessed and classified by the National Trust of Australia (WA) and it was noted that the place was undergoing sympathetic restoration and renovation. The citation for the group 28/30, 32/34 and 36 Wray Avenue states that: It is a representative example of the simple attached Victorian housing. It has architectural significance together with environmental significance as part of a group of houses. The group was also included on the Register of the National Estate by the Australian Heritage Council in 1982.
High degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability).
High degree of authenticity with much original fabric remaining.
(These statements based on street survey only).
Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).
Individual Building or Group
|Original Use||RESIDENTIAL||Single storey residence|
|Present Use||RESIDENTIAL||Single storey residence|
|DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY||Land allocation & subdivision|
This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.