inHerit Logo

Hillside

Author

City of Albany

Place Number

03572
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

6 Cliff St Albany

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Hillside Lodge

Local Government

Albany

Region

Great Southern

Construction Date

Constructed from 1971, Constructed from 1886

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
State Register Permanent 30 Oct 1998 Register Entry
Assessment Documentation
Heritage Council

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 30 Jun 2001 Category A+

Category A+

• Already recognised at the highest level – the WA State Register of Heritage Places. Redevelopment requires consultation with the Heritage Council of WA and the City of Albany. • Provide maximum encouragement to the owner under the City of Albany Town Planning Scheme to conserve the significance of the place. • Incentives to promote heritage conservation should be considered.

Classified by the National Trust Classified 04 Apr 1977

Heritage Council
Register of the National Estate Permanent 21 Oct 1980

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

Hillside, a two storey rendered brick and stone building in the Victorian Filigree style, with panoramic views of the
town and harbour, has aesthetic, historic, representative and rarity cultural heritage significance for the following
reasons;
The place exhibits fine aesthetic qualities in the classical ornamentation and cast iron work detailing in the front
façade and is a fine example of the Victorian filigree style.
The place is indicative of the success of the pastoral industry in the Albany district.
The place has a close association with the historic Hassell family.
The place has a close association with Adelaide architect Thomas English

Physical Description

Hillside is a two-storey residence located at the corner of Cliff Way and Robinson Street in Albany. The house is
located within an expansive landscaped garden that is partially enclosed by fences and walls of different materials and
construction.
The building is comprised of a two-storey, L-shaped plan originating from the earliest period of construction, abutted by
single-storey extensions at the rear of the building. The later stone extensions are in stark contrast to the original
rendered brick construction with decorative cast iron verandah, which is representative of the Victorian Filigree style.
The front façade is highly decorative with a richly modelled gable end and a verandah with cast iron balcony supports,
balustrade and fringe. Both hip and gable forms are employed in the roof construction which is finished with Colorbond
sheeting. Three prominent chimneys rise through the roof, close to the junctions with the external walls. Supporting
eaves brackets around the roofline produce a further decorative element.
The single storey extensions to Hillside have been constructed in hand cut Mount Barker stone laid in regular courses.
The scale and texture of the face stone is in stark contrast to the smooth rendered finish and delicate ironwork of the
original structure.
The front door has a glazed Star of David design and glass side and fanlights. A central hall runs through the middle of
the house, dividing the front reception rooms and leading directly to the former ballroom at the rear of the building. A
stairwell to the upper floor is located within the hall. Although this is not the original staircase, it is likely to be in a
similar location. Niches around the perimeter of the ballroom, entered through stone arches are currently utilised for
storage and laundry facilities although the bar facilities and raised platform for the band are still evident. A kitchen is
located to the east of the ballroom and a sunroom is situated at the rear. The upper floor comprised five bedrooms, two
with en-suite bathrooms. The balcony is accessible through French doors from both the hall and a front bedroom.
Whilst there have been substantial changes to internal surface finishes, the impression of generous room volume is still
apparent and a distinctive feature of the place portraying some of the grandeur associated with the status of the original
owners.
Hillside is generally in good condition although there is no regular programme of maintenance.

History

Albany was made available for free settlers in 1831 and the town developed slowly as a trading and servicing post.
Development of the hinterland was slow but by 1850, most of the suitable pastoral land had been taken up in large
holdings.
One of the largest landholders was former master mariner with the Royal Navy, John Hassell. By 1850 he owned or
leased some 63 000 acres and held about 25 000 acres freehold. Together with his sons he worked several pastoral
properties mainly 'Kendenup', 'Jerramungup' and 'Warriup'. His second son, Albert Young Hassell took over 'Kendenup' in the late 1870's adn pursued his interest in breeding anf training racehorses. In 1878, he married Ethel Clifton, daughter of William Carmalt Clifton, Albany's P&O Agent.
The following year, Albert purchased Albany Suburban Lot 120 in partnership with his brother Arthur. In January1886,
the title for the land was transferred solely to Albert. In August that year, Adelaide architect Thomas English, of
English and Soward, prepared the plans for Hillside at a cost of £43. Thomas English was Mayor of Adelaide in 1862,
and designed many buildings in South Australia. Albany builder John Green constructed Hillside for £1720.
The Star of David design on the front gable and on the original front door of Hillside was in deference to the Jewish
origins of Ethel Hassell's mother, Sophia Harriet Adcock. When the Hassell family moved into Hillside they had five
children, and another five, two of whom died young, were born at Hillside. The house was situated on four acres of
land, and there were various outbuildings. One of these was a small cottage occupied by Ah Kit, a Chinese shepherd
originally employed at 'Kendenup'. Four years after occupying the place, Albert Hassell purchased the adjoining Lot 121
for £500.
The Hassell family were prominent in politics and commerce in Albany and the wider community. Albert Hassell was a
member of the local Roads Board, MLC for Albany 1871-74, MLA for Plantagenet 1890-1904 and represented Western
Australia at the Federal Convention 1897-8.
Albert Hassell died in 1918 and the place remained within the Hassell family until 1948. During that time the land was
subdivided several times and the house was divided into four flats. The place was unoccupied for several years during
World War Two and fell into disrepair, a fire gutting part of the rear of the place.
In 1948, Hillside was purchased by Alfred Collins who subdivided the land further to finance the restoration of the
house. In 1971, new owners Rowland and Dorothea Evans opened the house for business as a reception centre after
extensive renovations and extensions. During 1977, Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh used Hillside as a
venue for a visit. Later that year Roger and Karen Tysoe who operated the reception centre on the ground floor and
lived upstairs purchased the place.
In 1988, notorious businessman Francesco La Rosa, one of Western Australia's high fliers of the 1908's, paid over one million dollars for Hillside, the house next door and some furniture and fittings. However, La Rosa's ownership was short lived as he was declared bankrupt later that same year.
La Rosa's sister. Lucia Wills, briefly owned Hillside until 1989, when Douglas Johnstone purchased it. In May 1994, Johnston commissioned Perth architect Peter Jones to prepare a conservation plan as well as drawings for additions and alterations. As at June 1998 no renovation work had been carried out.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: High

Condition

Excellent

Associations

Name Type Year From Year To
Thomas English Architect 1886 -

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Heritage TODAY Site visit and Assessment 1999
Heritage Council of WA assessment for entry on interim basis 1998
Peter Jones-Architect; "Hillside Lodge. Albany. Conservation Plan". 1994

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
328 Albany, Western Australia : the first hundred years, 1791-1891. Book 1992
4905 Hillside Lodge : Albany : conservation plan. Heritage Study {Cons'n Plan} 2000

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Other Use SOCIAL\RECREATIONAL Other Community Hall\Centre
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Two storey residence
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Two storey residence

Architectural Styles

Style
Victorian Filigree

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Common Brick
Roof METAL Other Metal
Wall STONE Other Stone

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Settlements

Creation Date

13 Mar 1995

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

31 Dec 2016

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.