Katanning Power House (fmr)

Author

Shire of Katanning

Place Number

03419

Location

24 & 26 Albion St Katanning

Location Details

Associated with 1344

Local Government

Katanning

Region

Great Southern

Construction Date

Constructed from 1902

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Municipal Inventory Adopted 22 Jun 2000 Category 2

Statement of Significance

The powerhouse has heritage significance in its association with the development of technology (electricity) and its impact on the Katanning community, and as a good example of a type of industrial place, which has a moderate level of integrity.

Physical Description

A stretcher and English garden wall bond structure with a gabled roof and full length ridge ventilator. The roof has been re-clad with Fibro-cement sheeting.

History

The powerhouse is associated with the Katanning Roller Flour Mill. Piesse established the power plant in 1902 to power his mill. In 1904, a private Act of Parliament allowed Piesse to generate and supply power and lighting to the town. Katanning was one of the firsts towns in Western Australia to have electricity. In the late 1920s, the electric light and power plant was upgraded, and the new generator supplied the town until 1961, when the SEC (now Western Power) purchased the power plant and electrical distribution system for £85,125, converting it to AC power the following year. 1980 - Sign writer Ray Ford bought and continued his business from the building. 1990 - Jeremy George used the back rooms for an upholstery business.

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
'Katanning Roller Flour Mill, Katanning: Conservation Plan'. pp.8-15 Considine and Griffiths Architects Pty Ltd, December 1996,
Nomination form

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use GOVERNMENTAL Power Station
Present Use GOVERNMENTAL Power Station

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof ASBESTOS Fibrous Cement, corrugated
Wall BRICK Common Brick

Creation Date

31 Dec 1993

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.