Parkville House

Author

City of Albany

Place Number

15443

Location

136 Brunswick Rd Albany

Location Details

Local Government

Albany

Region

Great Southern

Construction Date

Constructed from 1850

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Municipal Inventory Adopted 30 Jun 2001 Category B

Statement of Significance

Parkville is a substantial two storey residence with high streetscape value. The residence has aesthetic, historic and representative heritage significance.

Physical Description

Substantial two storey residence with views across jetty and over town Prominent gabled wing with projecting bay at lower level on front elevation Verandah on front side, with timber posts and timber balustrading is original Smaller ornamental roof gable on side elevation

History

Parkville was built in the colonial period as a Georgian style, two-storey cottage. (It was seen in a photo in 1863.) The house was thought to have been originally built for the residence of the Head Gaoler at the gaol, and then situated over the road in Lawley Park. It was extended in the 1890s for retired Point King lighthouse keeper, Samuel Mitchell, who intended to operate a guesthouse. It was during this renovation that the Federation façade was added. Since the 1890s it has been used as some form of boarding or guesthouse. During the Great Depression years both the top and bottom verandah areas were enclosed for extra accommodation. At this time it became a 14-bedroom establishment. In World War II the guesthouse was used as Rest and Recreation accommodation for visiting American submariners. After the war the house was converted to a girls hostel to lodge country girls who came to Albany for either school or work. In 1994, it was called the "Colonial Guest House", owned by David and Chrisitne Duvall. Purchased by the Malcari family in 1995, the dwelling continued as a guesthouse until converted into a private residence in 1998. Arthur and Heather Malacari spent much time and effort sensitively restoring the house including building the verandah and gable on the west side of the residence.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: Moderate Modifications: Additions at rear Side verandah added to protect exposed brickwork from weather Addition of gable on side elevation Enclosure of verandah at upper level with glass

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Heritage Database City of Albany 1995
L Johnson; "Town of Albany Heritage Survey". 1994
C Day; "Oral history interview with Heather Malacari" Heritage Today 2000
Heritage TODAY Site visit and Assessment 1999

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Two storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Two storey residence

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Filigree

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Settlements

Creation Date

10 Mar 2000

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.