Mooliabeenee Rail Siding Site

Author

Shire of Gingin

Place Number

17904

Location

Mooliabeenee Rd Gingin

Location Details

Local Government

Gingin

Region

Avon Arc

Construction Date

Constructed from 1891

Demolition Year

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Oct 2005 Category 4

Physical Description

No buildings exist there now.

History

The railway reached Mooliabeenie (presumably) soon after it reached Gingin in April 1891. A Station Master's house was built, which also served as a Post Office. Local settlers were employed on the railway and at the Station. The Ward family lived in a house to the west of the Station. After their departure during WW1, the house was used as a Shop and residence by Mr. W. Leaman. This was destroyed by fire in March 1922. Mr. J. O'Hare built a new house close to the Siding, which was still in operation c 1940. Yet another Store was built by Mr. Bill Read in 1946 when Mrs. Read resumed duties at the Railway Station and Post Office.

Condition

Site Only

Place Type

Other Built Type

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use Transport\Communications Rail: Housing or Quarters
Other Use Transport\Communications Comms: Post or Telegraph Office

Creation Date

02 Aug 2007

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.