z Fremantle ARCHIVED 201216

Place Number



141 Queen Victoria St Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1935

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 1A

Statement of Significance

Refer to HCWA's Assessment Documentation of Places for Entry in the Register of Heritage Places for ARTILLERY BARRACKS & FREMANTLE HARBOUR SIGNAL STATION (FMR).

Physical Description

Naval Stores, 57 Canning Highway is part of the Artillery Barracks and Fremantle Harbour Signal Station (fmr), a HCWA Registered Place. It is a two storey masonry building with second floor timber framed windows and a rendered parapet hiding the roof line. There are two storey height entrance doors at each end of the street elevation. The end roof line is a gable shaped parapet. Refer to HCWA's Assessment Documentation of Places for Entry in the Register of Heritage Places for ARTILLERY BARRACKS & FREMANTLE HARBOUR SIGNAL STATION (FMR). This site comprises: the Naval Store, the Tuckfield Street Open Space, the 9 married officer's quarters (Queen Victoria Street), the married officer's quarters (cnr of Burt and Queen Victoria Streets), Gun House, Rifle Cottage, Fremantle Harbour Trust signal station, artillery officer's mess, officer's mess, storage, garage/storage, museum (master gunner's store), museum administration (quarter master's store), orderly room, guard room, lecture rooms, quarter master's store/gymnasium, university regiment/army museum barracks, gymnasium/store, and timber racks.


Refer to the Heritage Council of Western Australia's Register of Heritage Places - Register and Assessment Documentation for ARTILLERY BARRACKS & FREMANTLE HARBOUR SIGNAL STATION (FMR). In May 1935, the Commonwealth Naval Board in Melbourne instructed the construction of a stone on the vacant land adjacent to the Military Barracks, Fremantle, opposite the end of the traffic bridge. The building was intended to house naval stores. It was to be 10,000 square feet in area and front both Canning Road and Tuckfield Street. After some disquiet from the Fremantle Council about the need to relinquish this land, it was clarified that the site was not to front Tuckfield Street, but rather to be at the convergence of Queen Victoria Street and Canning Road. The proposed new building had a large rectangular floor plan aligned with Queen Victoria Street. By August of 1935 Fremantle Council had relinquished the land required, and it is presumed that the naval stores building was constructed soon afterwards. This place was included on the list of heritage places in the City of Fremantle identified by the Fremantle Society in 1979/80.


High degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability). High degree of authenticity with much original fabric remaining. (These statements based on street survey only).


Condition assessed as fair (assessed from streetscape survey only).


Name Type Year From Year To
Sir J Talbot Hobbs, and Winning & Leighton Architect - -

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific

Creation Date

20 Jul 2011

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

22 Mar 2019


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.