City of Fremantle

Place Number



27 Stevens St Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1901, Constructed from 1902

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 3

Statement of Significance

House, 27 Stevens Street, is a typical rendered masonry, tile and iron single storey house dating from 1901 to 1902. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the typical workers' houses in the Fremantle area. The place is an example of the Federation Queen Anne style of architecture.

Physical Description

27 Stevens Street is a single storey rendered masonry, tile and iron house with an asymmetrical facade designed as an example of the Federation Queen Anne style of architecture. The walls are rendered masonry. The roof is gabled and clad with tiles. The facade has a projecting front room with a gable over. The gable end has a decorative timber barge board and finial. There is a faceted bay with double hung sash windows to each bay. The front door with fanlight and side lights and a pair of timber framed double hung sash windows are located under the adjacent verandah. The verandah has a separate corrugated iron roof and is supported by turned timber posts with a timber balustrade. The house is set above the street level. There is a painted brick wall to the front boundary line.


Stevens Street was originally known as Church Street c1900, the boundary of the old Alma St Church of England Cemetery. It changed to Stephen Street in c1930. In 1962 spelling was changed to Stevens Street, probably to honour Jimmy Stevens, Councillor (1905-1929; 1929-1943). 27 Stevens Street was formerly 113 Stephen Street. The numbering changed in 1935/36. This house was built for E. W. Davies in 1901/02 as an investment property. The first occupant of the house was John Whitty, a clerk. Later occupants were William Richardson, a bank clerk; and James Dixon, butcher. The property was transferred to Arthur Davies and Fred Jones prior to 1905/06 and occupied by local architect O. N. Nicholson and later by James Marshall Barrow. In the 1930s the place was owned by M. M. Laming and occupied by William Fraser. The 1908 sewerage plan of the site shows this brick house had the distinctive bay window and verandah at the front accessed by a central set of steps. At the rear was a verandah and in the back yard a timber closet. This place was identified by the Fremantle Society in 1979/80 as being of cultural heritage significance. (Coded: Red: "Significantly contributing to the unique character of Fremantle") A photograph of the house in 1978 shows that the house was in relatively good condition. The original verandah had been replaced with a concrete floor and metal balustrades. The roof was tiled and the front façade painted although the stone quoins were still evident. The verandah roof was probably a later replacement. Information from 2004 real estate notices indicate that a kitchen and bathroom were added to the rear in the 1960s or 1970s. The front façade was substantially the same as the 1978 photograph.


High degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability). High degree of authenticity with much original fabric remaining. (These statements based on street survey only).


Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Queen Anne

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall RENDER Smooth
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Roof TILE Terracotta Tile

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

20 Jul 2011

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

03 Mar 2020


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.