City of Fremantle

Place Number



17 King William St South Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1902

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 3

Statement of Significance

House, 17 King William Street, is a typical rendered masonry, tile and iron single storey house dating from c 1902. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the typical workers' houses in the Fremantle area. The place is an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture.

Physical Description

17 King William Street is a single storey, brick and iron house with a symmetrical facade built c.1902 designed as an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture. The walls are rendered brick. The roof is hipped and clad with corrugated iron. The façade is symmetrical with a central front door with side and fanlights flanked on either side by casement windows. The verandah has a separate corrugated iron roof supported on cement columns on rendered masonry half piers with a rendered masonry balustrade between. There is a limestone fence to the front boundary line.


King William Street was called Florence Street until c. 1950. The street was largely developed in the 1890s and early 1900s. House, 17 King William Street was built c. 1902. Prior to the construction of the cottage, there had been a blacksmith and shop on the site. In 1900, this was owned by D & A T White and occupied by Maurice Steplane, a blacksmith. By 1904/05, there was a cottage on lot occupied by Ernest Dilks, a storeman. The lot was owned by Arthur White, who continued to be the owner until c. 1950. Mr White rented the cottage to a succession of tenants during this time. In the early 1950s, House, 17 King William Street was owned and occupied by Therese and Kevin Kelly and then V Cartmass. Vincenzo Carbonaro purchased the property c. 1960 and was still the owner in 2005. A Metropolitan Sewerage plan dated 1954 shows a brick cottage with a full length front verandah. To the rear of the cottage, there was a weatherboard sleep-out and small verandah. An asbestos outbuilding was located on the eastern boundary of the lot, with a further asbestos garage located at the rear of the lot. This place was included in the list of heritage places in the City of Fremantle identified by the Fremantle Society (1979/80) - BROWN -significant for making a positive contribution to the built environment of Fremantle.


Medium degree of integrity (original intent mostly clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability). Medium degree of authenticity with some original fabric remaining. (These statements based on street survey only).


Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Bungalow

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall RENDER Smooth
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

20 Jul 2011

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

06 Mar 2020


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.