City of Fremantle

Place Number



19 Manning St Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1900

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 3

Statement of Significance

House, 19 Manning Street, is a typical brick and iron single storey house dating from 1900. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the typical workers' houses in the Fremantle area. The place is an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture.

Physical Description

19 Manning Street is a single storey, brick and iron house with an asymmetrical facade designed as an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture. The walls are face brick. The roof is hipped and gabled and clad with corrugated iron. The facade has a projecting front room with a pair of double hung sash windows and gable over with timber details. The front door and double hung sash window are located under a corrugated iron bullnose verandah supported by chamfered timber posts. There are two brick and rendered corbelled chimneys evident. There is a timber picket fence to the front boundary line.


This house was built for the owner Azelia Helen Manning in 1900. It was occupied by printer, J. Birdsey Cant and his family. Azelia Manning married John Ley in 1900 and continued to own the property under her new name and she continued to lease the property to tenants. The 1908 sewerage plan of the site shows that this stone building had a front verandah set into the front façade. A timber addition was constructed across the back of the building. In the back yard was a brick closet. In 1923/24, the property was owned and occupied by James Hanum Lester. He was the first of subsequent owners who owned and occupied the house. These owners included; John Nicholas Bussanich; Rosa and Masina La Rosa; Santo and Masina La Rosa; and Clyde McGill and Colleen Rigby. In 1944, the existing wash house was renewed and in 1963 the front verandah was altered. In 1972 the house was extended at the rear with the addition of a new kitchen, dining room, bathroom and laundry. This place was identified by the Fremantle Society in 1979/80 as being of cultural heritage significance. (Coded: Brown: "Positively contributing to the built environment") By 1984, there was a large building in the rear of the property. This place received a Conservation Incentives Award in 1993.


High degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability). High degree of authenticity with much original fabric remaining. (These statements based on street survey only).


Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).


Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
21742 Fremantle Local History Collection Council Records

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Bungalow

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Face Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

20 Jul 2011

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

27 Feb 2020


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.