City of Fremantle

Place Number



61 Hampton Rd Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1901

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
RHP - To be assessed Current 25 Jan 2006

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 3

Statement of Significance

Duplex, 61 & 63 Hampton Road, is a typical rendered masonry, and iron single storey duplex pair dating from c1901. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the typical workers' houses in the Fremantle area. The place is an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture.

Physical Description

61-63 Hampton Road is a single storey, rendered masonry and iron duplex pair with a symmetrical façade built c1901 and designed as an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture. The walls are rendered masonry. The roof is pitched and gabled and clad with corrugated iron. The gabled end has decorative wooden features. The front verandah is under a separate corrugated iron roof supported by chamfered timber posts with simple timber frieze?. The dividing parapet wall is visible through the roof and through the verandah. The main entrance door is at the side of each house. Number 63 has a shuttered window on the recessed part of the house. Number 61 has a timber framed window at the front of the house. There is a brick corbelled chimney evident. There is a rendered masonry wall to no. 63 and a rendered masonry and iron wall to the front boundary line of no. 61.


Hampton Road was originally called Prison Road. It derives its name from John Stephen Hampton (1810-1869), the Governor of WA from 1862-68. He was previously Comptroller of Convicts in Tasmania. His son, G. E. Hampton, was Acting Comptroller-General of the Fremantle Convict Establishment. Duplex, 61 Hampton Road was built along with its pair at No. 63 in 1901/02 for Margaret Cable, who owned a number of properties in the area with her husband, James. The Cables owned the cottages until 1905/06, when ownership was transferred to James Shepherd. James Brownlie was the owner in 19151/6 and Minetta Lancaster by 1920. A PWD plan dated 1913 shows an attached pair of cottages with full length front verandahs. The Lancaster families owned the duplex pair until 1949/50 when ownership was transferred to Rose Stacey. Walter Stacy was the owner in the early 1950s. This place was included in the list of heritage places in the City of Fremantle identified by the Fremantle Society (1979/80) - BROWN -significant for making a positive contribution to the built environment of Fremantle.


High degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability). High degree of authenticity with much original fabric remaining. (These statements based on street survey only).


Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Conjoined residence
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Conjoined residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Bungalow

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall RENDER Smooth
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

20 Jul 2011

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

11 Feb 2020


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.