City of Fremantle

Place Number



42 Holland St Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1919

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted Level 3

Parent Place or Precinct

26090 Holland/Forrest Street Heritage Area

Physical Description

House, 42 Holland Street is a single storey brick and Zincalume house constructed as a simple variation of the Federation Bungalow style of Architecture. The walls are rendered painted brick. The roof is hipped and gabled and clad with Zincalume. There is a brick chimney with two chimney pots evident. The front façade features timber framed sash windows. The verandah is under a small gable and is supported by timber posts, with a timber balustrade. There is a low limestone fence to the front boundary line.


Lot 979, the land on which house 42 Holland Street is located was first owned by Sir Henry Briggs. Briggs (b.1844 d.1919) was born in Kettering, Northamptonshire England and was the first headmaster of Fremantle Grammar School from 1882 – 1897. He was also secretary of the Fremantle Chamber of Commerce, a J P, a trustee of the Western Australian Public Library and Art Gallery and from 1906 – 1909 President of the Legislative Council. He was knighted in 1916. In 1919/20 a cottage had been built and James Forbes was the owner/occupier. Forbes lived there until the mid to late 1930s when the Tugby family became the next owners/occupiers. From the 1960s to the late 1990s, the Cappa family were the owner/occupiers. The house was originally number 49 and became number 42 when the whole street was renumbered in 1937. The 1914 Sewerage Plan (No 2033) shows the faint outline of the house only. It has a verandah along the front and east side, and a small projecting bay to the front. Aerial photos show that between 1995 and 1999 the house was reroofed and extended to the rear. Between 2000 and 2004 the large lot was subdivided, and a house on the east side (44) and two at the rear (42a and 44a) have been built. A carport/garage was built on the west side.


Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Bungalow

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Zincalume
Wall BRICK Rendered Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

07 Aug 2010

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

03 Jun 2021


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.