St Patrick's Roman Catholic Church


Shire of Katanning

Place Number



Amherst St Katanning

Location Details

Local Government



Great Southern

Construction Date

Constructed from 1923, Constructed from 1962

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 25 Jan 1996 Category 2

Statement of Significance

St Patrick's Church was the first Roman Catholic Church to be built between Albany and Beverley and therefore has historical and social significance.

Physical Description

An improvement carried out in 1959 surround Cavanagh's original concept and the campanile appears to be part of this campaign. The whole place has been rendered in an attempt to unify the various parts.


The first wood and iron Catholic Church, St Patrick's was opened in 1893. This was the first Catholic Church to be built between Albany and Beverley, and was located at the southern end of Austral Terrace. The first parish priest was Father Duff and Bishop Gibney laid the foundation stone. By the early 1920s the parish had outgrown its church, so in 1923 a block of land was purchased on the north side of the Amherst Street for £300. The site of the original church was sold to the Vacuum Oil Company for £450. The new church was opened on 19th August 1923. Father Reidy having been a major force behind the project and the church was blessed by Archbishop Clune. The Architect was M F Cavanagh and the builder was Alex Thomson. St Patrick's school was also erected on the church block in the same year. In 1937/38, Father Byrne carried out improvements to the church by adding a confessional box and new seating. In the same year Mrs. M J Garrity placed a statue of Our Lady of Lourdes and accompanying angels in the sanctuary. When Fr McSweeney arrived in 1959 he took over the work started by Fr Casey, and launched the "Wells Fund Raising Campaign" to raise finance for additions to the church. The additions were completed and consecrated by Rev. Goody, Bishop of Bunbury in August 1962, the designer and builder being S. Costello.




Name Type Year From Year To
M F Cavanagh Architect 1923 -


Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
"Jubilee of the Sisters of Our lady Of Missions and St Patrick's School; 1926 -1976, Katanning". Vanguard Press), 1976
Bignell M; "A Place to Meet: a History of the Shire of Katanning Western Australia". UWA Press 1981

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel
Present Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel
Original Use RELIGIOUS Monastery or Convent
Present Use EDUCATIONAL Primary School

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Common Brick
Roof METAL Zincalume

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Education & science

Creation Date

27 May 1997

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

01 Jan 2017


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.