Boyanup Railway Precinct

Author

Shire of Capel

Place Number

03016

Location

Cnr Turner Rd & South Western Hwy Boyanup

Location Details

Significant Location Components: Boyanup Railway Station & Platform 1893, Refreshment rooms (on platform), Boyanup Railway Water Tank, Pedestrian Overpass Footbridge, Grangers House (2), 'Fettler's Park' 4 fettlers houses, Oak Tree 1904, Foggitt Jones pig sales yard, Boyanup Museum 1984, Ave of Oak Trees

Local Government

Capel

Region

South West

Construction Date

Constructed from 1887

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Municipal Inventory Adopted 01 Aug 1999 Category 3
RHP - Does not warrant assessment Current 24 Feb 2017

Child Places

  • 15168 Preston Railway Bridge (original)
  • 25847 Railway Dwelling (Simms-Cooke), 83 Bridge Street, Boyanup
  • 14751 Granny Simmon's House & Simmon's Staging Post (site)

Statement of Significance

The railway precinct is of considerable heritage value as a significant representation of the role that the railways played in the development of the Boyanup town and district.

Physical Description

Precinct of places and sites associated with the Boyanup railway station. Simmon's Coach house 1864 SITE Boyanup Railway Station & platform 1893 SITE Refreshment rooms (on platform) SITE Boyanup Railway Water tank Pedestrian overpass footbridge SITE Railway bridge over the Preston river Gangers houses (2) SITE 'Fettler's Park' 4 fettlers houses SITE Oak Tree 1904 Foggitt Jones pig sales yard Boyanup Museum 1984 SITE Avenue of oak trees

History

The proposal for the Bunbury-Boyanup railway was mooted at a public meeting as early as 1883, to support the burgeoning timber export business in the region. In the following session of the Legislative Council, the Surveyor General agreed the H. W. Venn's (Commissioner of Railways) request to arrange a preliminary survey of the line. The bill met some opposition but passed, although the budget estimates were not passed, and it wasn't until 1886 that the gauge and route of the line were decided. The settlers wanted a 3'6" gauge line to run to the foot of the timber ranges. Venn who lived in Dardanup, favoured a 2' gauge, and the route to Boyanup. The final result was a 3'6" gauge to Boyanup. The line construction was completed in 1887. Two specially imported locomotives, and rolling stock for the Bunbury to Blackwood (Boyanup) line, arrived in Bunbury on Christmas Eve 1888, for the line, but no trains ran on the line for 4 years, except for the 30 November 1887 ride by Governor Broome, after the last sleeper was laid. Three days later the line works were closed, and the Public Works Department closed the line indefinitely with no explanation. While the line was closed, the Railway Commissioner granted permission for E Keane to cart piles, for the Bunbury jetty extension, along the line, supplying his own trucks, which were horse drawn. The citizens called for the line to be closed. Controversy continued when one of the original locos was sold to Albany, and there were plans for the other loco. In 1889, a Bunbury Company headed by C. J. Ashwell proposed to lease the railway and run horse drawn tramcars to and from Boyanup on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Plans were made to erect a goods shed and wayside inn at Boyanup and Dardanup. C. L. Hastie was the contractor, and he worked the line for a year but it wasn't viable or satisfied the public, and his contract was terminated in April 1890. In 1891, John Forrest was elected the first Premier of responsible government in the colony, and as an advocate of railways, had the line open within three months, on 12 March 1891. Forrest organised the return of the second loco from Fremantle, and the opening day was declared a holiday in Bunbury. The Boyanup line was connected to the main southwest line from Perth on 22 August 1893, and as Donnybrook was emerging as the centre of a rapidly expanding orchard industry, the line was extended and opened to traffic on 16 November 1893. The original Boyanup station was located on the north side of the river, and when the extensions went ahead to Donnybrook, a trestle bridge was constructed, and a station was built in the existing site of the (remaining) platform on the south side of the river. The terminus of the extension was originally called Minninup but was soon changed to Donnybrook. Busselton connected to the Boyanup line on 20 November 1894, and the Bridgetown extension was on 1 November 1898. Boyanup became a main junction in the south west railway. The railway station including refreshment rooms were built. The Hotel proprietor usually leased the refreshment rooms, and the local girls in the district helped out when the trains came in. A railway gang operated from Boyanup with the lines inspected by the 'length runners' and the fettlers keeping the lines in good working condition. The gang originally lived in tents and later permanent barracks were constructed. The assistant station master Les Russell and his wife Elsie lived opposite the Hotel. In 1894, T. E. Reilly began work on the Boyanup railway as the carriage examiner (also says clerk), and as a repairer from 1897 to 1911 during which time he planted the oak tree which still remains on the platform. He planted it on 12 January 1904, to commemorate the birth of his fourth son Hugh. Terry Reilly was the son of a Pensioner Guard, and was born in the Colony and trained as a blacksmith as well as working with the NSW police. When he first came to Boyanup, he bought six acres in Turner St and set up a blacksmith shop. He also ran a livery station for the Blackwood mail coach, and produced honey, smoked hams, and wine. He and his wife Bridget bought up other land, and eventually settled with 200 acres at Joshua Creek. In 1919, oak trees were planted in remembrance of fallen soldiers from the district in the First World War. The trees were planted from the post office to the tavern and each tree had a name plaque. Only 7 of the trees remained in 1997. In 1924, the Prince of Wales (Edward) passed through Boyanup, stopping on his way to Pemberton, and several local people had the opportunity to meet him. The train was later derailed near Bridgetown. On 17 October 1984, Boyanup Station was closed as a manned station. In 1984 and 1985, the Bunbury goods shed and part of the locomotive roundhouse were relocated to the Boyanup railway yard and the Museum was developed and opened in November 1985. Railway workers houses (c1950) are still located in Bridge St. In 1994 Fettler's Park was created featuring a life sized steel plate sculpture of a fettler, commissioned from Malcolm Paine of Carbunup.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: Medium Degree Authenticity: Medium Degree

Condition

Fair - Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Chase D & Krantz V; "Just a Horse Ride Away, A History of the Shire of Capel". Shire of Capel Local History Collection 1995
Woods p, Gunzberg A & Goss p; "Bunbury to Boyanup Railway 100 years 1891-1991". Leschenault Railway Preservation Society Inc 1991

Place Type

Historic site

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use Transport\Communications Rail: Railway Station
Original Use Transport\Communications Rail: Railway Station

Historic Themes

General Specific
TRANSPORT & COMMUNICATIONS Rail & light rail transport

Creation Date

17 Jun 1991

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.