St George's Anglican Church

Author

Shire of Wagin

Place Number

02652

Location

Lukin St Wagin

Location Details

Local Government

Wagin

Region

Wheatbelt

Construction Date

Constructed from 1901, Constructed from 1900

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Municipal Inventory Adopted Category 1

Statement of Significance

St George's Anglican Church is fine example of the Federation Gothic style enhanced by its landmark tower and pleasing proportions. The place has historic value as a demonstration of the development that occurred in Wagin around the turn-of-the-century as it became the sen/ice centre of the district.

Physical Description

The church building is cruciform in plan, conventionally orientated east-west and built in the Federation Gothic style.1 The building is set in a lawned setting with established ga'dens and paths leading from the street to the entrance to the nave and transepts. The entrance to the church grounds is through a gate made of mild steel supported by brick pillars. A plaque on the gates read... The gates are in memory of Charles Austin Fiesse (1855-1914) an early pioneer of Wagin town and district and one greatly instrumental in building the Church...Also in memory of Gerald Austin William Piesse MBE JP (1885-1956) in whose gift these gates were erected. The top of the gates bear the name of the church in curved mild steel supported on two brick piers. Smaller brick piers topped with lanterns are either side. The walls of the building are in pointed and coursed stonework with brick corner ahd wall buttresses. The building is covered with a high-pitched gable roof with cement rendered copings. An iron cross decorates the roof at the apex of each gable. The roof lacks ornamentation other than the corbelled walls at the base of the gables. The main feature of the church is the landmark tower on the south wall. The tower is in proportion to the building and creates a pleasing composition. The tower features a battlemented parapet and lancet-shaped slit windows with metal louvres. The tower is supported by tall buttresses. The tower forms the entrance to the nave; there are separate entrances to the transepts. The doorway of the tower has a pointed arched head, the fanlight is now covered. The openings in the tower are internally protected by wire mesh. Three brick buttresses with rendered steps support the walls of the nave. Between each buttress is a recessed lancet with leaded and stained glass. Two lancets feature on the transept walls, and the front wall features three lancets, the centre lancet taller than the other two. The altar wall is similarly treated. The front elevation has a slit window at the top of the wall (now covered) with a cross either side marked in the stonework. The lancet windows are defined by rendered sills.

History

The land on which the church is built was donated by Mr Frederick Piesse. Mr Charles. A. Piesse and Frederick Piesse with Richard Gell and Mr John. E. Cowcher were mainly responsible for the decision to build the church. It is believed that up until that time, church services were conducted in parishioners' homes. Local stone, gravel and sand were carted from nearby farms to await the builder, Walter Gaunt. On 29 July 1899, in the company of a large crowd, Mrs C. Piesse laid the foundation stone.2 The church was completed 18 months later and after a period in which sen/ices were supplied by the rectors of Katanning, the Rev. F. Bowen came to Wagin from England to become the first resident rector. The church was consecrated on 11 February 1902, by C. O. L. Riley, the Anglican Bishop of Perth.3 The church was originally lit by oil lamps but in 1907, an acetylene gas plant was installed and was used until 1914, when electricity was installed. The fence was also built in 1914, when additions made to the rectory. In 1963, the sanctuary was completely refurnished and carpeted. At the same time a Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament was added. The new altar is of jarrah 4 In 1996, the building continues to be used for religious purposes.

Integrity/Authenticity

INTEGRITY: High AUTHENTICITY: High

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
R Apperly, R Irving & P Reynolds;"A Pictorial Guide to Identifying Australian Architecture, Styles and Terms from 1788 to the Present". pp. 120-123 Angus & Robertson, Sydney 1989
"The Messenger". p.1 Aug 1964
Foundation stone.
ibid.

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
9776 St George's Church group, Wagin. DRAFT Heritage Study {Cons'n Plan} 2010

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel
Present Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Gothic

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall STONE Granite
Wall STONE Local Stone
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Religion

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

31 Dec 2016

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.