ANZ Bank, Katanning

Author

Shire of Katanning

Place Number

01352

Location

93 Clive St Katanning

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Australian & New Zealand Bank
Union Bank

Local Government

Katanning

Region

Great Southern

Construction Date

Constructed from 1911

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
State Register Registered 07 Dec 2007 HCWebsite.Listing+ListingDocument, HCWebsite.Listing+ListingDocument

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Municipal Inventory Adopted 25 Jan 1996 Category 1
Municipal Inventory Adopted 25 Jan 1996 Category 1
Statewide Bank Survey Completed 01 Nov 1997

Statement of Significance

The ANZ Bank alludes to the boom time in Katanning, when there was much building activity, particularly on the eastern side of the railway line. It was at this time that Katanning was really developing as a town and many services and amenities were needed for the growing population. The building is a substantial two-storey structure thereby giving it some aesthetic and architectural value. At its time of construction it was considered one of the chief architectural structures of the town. The ANZ Bank recently celebrated 100 years of banking in Katanning.

Physical Description

A two storey Federation Free Style bank and manager's residence. It is symmetrically organised around the disproportionate entry portico. The portico features an exaggerated baroque like broken pediment over the arched entry, with large metopes and dentils under the cornice. The portico is flanked by arched windows. The first floor is recessed with a verandah within the setback. The verandah is carried by stout piers with stylised capitals carrying in turn the lintel. Over the lintel the gutter is carried on closely spaced brackets. The balustrade to the verandah is made of pierced masonry. The tiled roof has decorative ridge tiles. A wrought iron fence has been added to the front of the building.

History

The Union Bank commenced business in 1904, the manager being N J Treleavan, making three banks in the town. The bank was situated in the building vacated by W J Rogers, who had built a new store and quarters. In 1911 the bank erected its own premises. This large two-storey structure consisted of banking chamber, manager's room and strong room, as well as a commodious private residence for the manager and his family. In 1931 Treleavan was succeeded by F W Skevington, then in 1934 Mr N W Broun was appointed. The first customers of the Union Bank were Ross and Thomas Anderson. In the early 1950s the Union Bank and the Australasia Bank merged to form the ANZ Bank.

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
"Katanning's Jubilee: a complete history of the progress of the town and district from 1889 to 1939". Great Southern Herald, 1939

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
9436 ANZ Bank Katanning. Field book Heritage Study {Other} 1992

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use COMMERCIAL Bank
Present Use COMMERCIAL Other
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Other

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Free Classical

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof TILE Other Tile
Wall BRICK Painted Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Commercial & service industries
OCCUPATIONS Rural industry & market gardening

Creation Date

31 Jan 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.