City of Fremantle

Place Number



1/94 Hampton Rd Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1911

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
RHP - To be assessed Current 25 Jan 2006

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 2

Statement of Significance

House, 1/94 Hampton Road, is a typical rendered masonry, and iron single storey house dating from c1911. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the typical workers' houses in the Fremantle area. The place is an example of the Federation Queen Anne style of architecture.

Physical Description

1/94 Hampton Road is a single storey, brick, and iron house with an asymmetrical façade built c.1911 and designed as an example of the Federation Queen Anne style of architecture. The walls are face brick. The roof is hipped and gabled and clad with corrugated iron. The gabled end has decorative wooden features. The verandah has a broken back corrugated iron roof and is supported by timber posts with decorative timber brackets and simple timber balustrade. There is a rendered masonry chimney evident. There is a brick and iron wall to the front boundary line together with proliferate foliage making further description difficult.


Hampton Road was originally called Prison Road. It derives its name from John Stephen Hampton (1810-1869), the Governor of WA from 1862-68. He was previously Comptroller of Convicts in Tasmania. His son, G. E. Hampton, was Acting Comptroller-General of the Fremantle Convict Establishment. House, 1/94 Hampton Road was built for the Letchford family in 1911/12. Notes in the Fremantle Local History collection files suggest that the house was designed by an architect, but no details are provided. For a time, the house was called “Rossmore” after the newly married son of William Ross Letchford and Herrell Letchford. William Letchford owned an aerated water factory in Fremantle. In 1940, ownership of the house was transferred to Herrell Letchford. In 1993, it was transferred to relatives as executors of Herrell’s will. In 1994, H M Letchford (owner) applied to the City of Fremantle to build six two-storey grouped dwellings behind the c. 1911 residence. This place was included in the list of heritage places in the City of Fremantle identified by the Fremantle Society (1979/80) - RED -significant for contributing to the unique character of Fremantle.


High degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability). High degree of authenticity with much original fabric remaining. (These statements based on street survey only).


Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Other Keywords

The Fremantle MHI management category for this place was amended and adopted by the decision of Council on 28/09/2011.

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Other

Architectural Styles

Federation Queen Anne

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall RENDER Smooth
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

20 Jul 2011

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

11 Feb 2020


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.