Lindsay Homestead (Well & Sheep Dip)

Author

City of Wanneroo

Place Number

14280

Location

602 Two Rocks Rd Yanchep

Location Details

On the west side of Two Rocks Road, approximately 200-300 metres from the Indian Ocean

Other Name(s)

Yanchep Estate, Yanchep Farm

Local Government

Wanneroo

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

Constructed from 1926

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Municipal Inventory Adopted 25 May 1994

Child Places

  • 14297 Well & Sheep Dip (Lindsay's Homestead)

Statement of Significance

Lindsay Homestead is historically significant as an example of a reasonably intact homestead reflecting the development and settlement of the district in the Inter-War period. The place is of considerable historic significance for its associations with the Honourable Mrs Lindsay a well known identity in the City of Wanneroo who established the Yanchep Estate, provided support for local fishermen and made a significant contribution to the protection of the environment. The place was is also significant in the context of WA's contribution to World War II. The place has considerable aesthetic significance for its picturesque setting and as a well known landmark for the local community.

Physical Description

Lindsay Homestead (also known as Yanchep Estate) is located at Lot 304, 602 Two Rocks Rd Yanchep. Lindsay Homestead is a former rural property on the west side of Two Rocks Road approximately 200-300 metres from the Indian Ocean and within the City of Wanneroo's North Ward.The site also contains Well and Sheep Dip which was adopted in 25/05/1994 on the City of Wanneroo's Ml. The homestead is setback from the road, accessed via a dirt track and is recessed from the beach area between coastal dunes and Two Rocks Road. The homestead faces in a south westerly direction and sits at ground level on a cleared hollowed site which has established trees and gardens and is surrounded by native landscaping and dunes on the west side. The house comprises a single storey timber framed and flat sheet asbestos sheet clad house with a zincalume steeply pitched hipped roof with vented gabled ends and a rendered chimney. The front verandah which is incorporated under the roof is supported by timber posts and has been enclosed with shade cloth, timber framed doors and windows appear intact to this elevation. The north west elevation has aluminium framed windows, the rear is covered by shade cloth enclosing a gardens area. The site also includes Colorbond clad sheds on the east side and remnants of a well which is situated to the west on the rise of the sand dunes. (Refer place no WN107) An internal inspection has not been carried out. In 2005, the front (verandah) and rear of the house are no longer enclosed with shadecloth and the place appears unoccupied.

History

The name Yanchep is of Aboriginal origin, and is derived from 'yanget', a native flax or bullrush. Surveyor R. Quin first recorded the name for Lake Yanchep in September 1866. Mary Janet Lindsay was born in Naples in 1876 and was the eldest daughter of Sir William Clark of Rupetswood, Australia's first Baronet. Her husband Major Lindsay was the third son of the Earl of Crofitidable Carris, which gave him and Mrs Lindsay, following their marriage in 1903, the title of Honourable. Major Lindsay died in 1911. In 1924 Mary Lindsay and her two daughters, Joyce and Rosemary, went on a two year world tour leaving their home in England. Her son, who became Major Robert Lindsay, remained in England to attend the Royal Military College, Sandhurst. While visiting Western Australia relations took Mrs Lindsay and her daughters to Yanchep Beach. Subsequently, in 1926, Mary Lindsay purchased approximately 23,000 acres of land along the coast to the approximate location of Two Rocks which became known as Yanchep Estate. Prior to this the land was owned by the Midland Railway Company which was granted the land following the construction of the railway to Geraldton completed in 1894. The Lindsay family lived in tents while the timber framed homestead was constructed in 1926 by Bunning Brothers in the area north of Brazier Road and west of Two Rocks Road. This remains extant. The stables and men's quarters are believed to have been built nearby from some of the materials from the wreck of the Alex T. Brown, although it is not known if any fabric remains extant. Bob Spiers worked as a caretaker on the property which was used for cattle and sheep farming as well as for breeding Clydesdale horses and Hungarian ponies. Water had to be carried from White Caves approximately six and half kilometres away until a well was built near the house. In 1927, Mary Lindsay built a hostel and store (not extant) for campers in the area, providing camping accommodation and essential supplies including water, food and fishing tackle available. Mary Lindsay was well known for her work protecting the natural dune landscape and vegetation as she carried a shaker of seeds with her that she sprinkled as she walked around, especially on the sand dunes on her property. During World War II the army took over the property after which, and due to disrepair, Mary Lindsay ceased operations at the store. The homestead was used for entertaining VIP guests including military service personnel during WWII. Leaseholders often had to travel through land owned by private landholders such as Mary Lindsay. The Road Board did not repay Mrs Lindsay the cost of the construction of a road and gate to provide access to beach goers. As a result she refused to allow local fisherman to travel across her land and they were forced to take a detour. Brownes Dairy leased Yanchep Estate in 1956 for spelling cows. Later that year Mrs Lindsay, then in her early 80s, sold Yanchep Estate to the Wydgee Pastoral Company from Sydney. She still visited the area after she moved to Perth and stayed at her beach house in Jurien Bay. The Honourable Mrs Lindsay died on 30 April 1960 aged 84. During the 1970s The Wydgee Pastoral Company sold the farm to Alan Bond who developed Yanchep Sun City north of the homestead.

Condition

Fair

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use FARMING\PASTORAL Homestead
Original Use FARMING\PASTORAL Homestead

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall ASBESTOS Fibrous Cement, flat
Wall TIMBER Weatherboard

Historic Themes

General Specific
PEOPLE Famous & infamous people
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision
OUTSIDE INFLUENCES World Wars & other wars

Creation Date

11 Oct 1999

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.