City of Fremantle

Place Number



10 Louisa St South Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1905

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 3

Statement of Significance

House, 10 Louisa Street, is a typical limestone, rendered masonry and iron single storey house dating from 1905. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the typical workers' houses in the Fremantle area. The place is an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture.

Physical Description

10 Louisa Street is a single storey, limestone, brick and iron house built by 1905 with a symmetrical facade designed as an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture. The walls are limestone with rendered brick quoins. The roof is hipped and clad with corrugated iron. The façade is symmetrical with a central front door and double hung sash windows. The verandah has a separate corrugated iron bullnose roof supported on chamfered timber posts with decorative iron brackets. There is an iron and rendered pillar fence to the front boundary line.


The area was owned by Captain William Owston, and then his stepson, Frederick Jones. Jones served with the Fremantle Council for many years. On the subdivision of the property in 1891, family names were given to the streets. Louisa was the daughter of Frederick and Emma Jones. Louisa Street was one of the first in this area of South Fremantle to be developed. House, 10 Louisa Street was built between 1900 and c. 1910. A sewerage diagram dated c. 1915 shows House, 10 Louisa Street as a large brick house with a full length front verandah. The rear verandah was enclosed at each end to create a bathroom and another working area. At this time, it was numbered 14 Louisa Street. In 1915, the house was occupied by Jas Sheridan. In 1930/31, the house was owned by the War Services Homes Board and occupied by Aurora Nicholls. Aurora McKenzie was listed as the owner and occupant in the 1950s and into the 1960s. In 1981, House, 10 Louisa Street was owned by the Beattie family. This place was included in the list of heritage places in the City of Fremantle identified by the Fremantle Society (1979/80) - RED -significant for contributing to the unique character of Fremantle.


High degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability). High degree of authenticity with much original fabric remaining. (These statements based on street survey only).


Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Bungalow

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall STONE Limestone
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall BRICK Rendered Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

20 Jul 2011

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

06 Mar 2020


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.