Chidlow Tavern

Author

Shire of Mundaring

Place Number

08563

Location

Thomas St Chidlow

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Chidlow Inn Tavern
Oxford Inn

Local Government

Mundaring

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

Constructed from 1908

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2016

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Statewide Hotel Survey Adopted 01 Nov 1997
Municipal Inventory Adopted 22 Apr 1997 2 -Considerable significance

Statement of Significance

The early twentieth century Chidlow Tavern building has very high historical and social significance for the Shire of Mundaring and the Chidlow community as a reminder of the importance of the town in the development of the Eastern Railway and primary industry of the surrounding district.

Physical Description

The Chidlow Tavern sits right on the footpath in Thomas Street Chidlow, opposite the railway reserve and where the Chidlow's Wells Station once stood. The brick, single storey building has been painted white and the simple timber detailing to the front veranda, doors and windows painted dark green. The 'L' shaped veranda wraps around the front south and east sides of the former hotel and terminates at the projecting entry to the public bar. The roof is of corrugated iron with a hipped form that continues down to form the veranda without any break in pitch. Projecting rooms to the front and side also have hipped roofs extending out from the main roof structure. The main 'residential' entry into the former hotel is from a door on the veranda with stained glass panels and sidelights. The entry in to the bar is protected by a small awning supported on decorative timber brackets.

History

In November 1908, W.H. Bramwell opened an eight bedroom brick hotel on Lot 4 Thomas Street in Chidlow's Well. It replaced the timber one burnt down in March that year which had been built opposite on leased railway land. Both places were called the Oxford Inn, the name the original owner John Symonds had transferred from his Mahogany Creek premises (now the Old Mahogany Inn, Site 163), in 1884. Over time, the re-routing of both the Great Eastern Highway and the railway have impacted upon the Inn. In 1973, the hotel changed its name to the Chidlow Inn Tavern and in 1984, extensive renovations involved the removal of public bedrooms, filling in of the original cellar and the creation of a large bar and eating area from what was the passage, office and ladies lounge.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: High Modifications: alterations and additions side and rear

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
MHHS File; "Chidlow".
I Elliot; ibid pp. 44, 56, 57, 59, 62, 70, 152, 264

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn
Present Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Common Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Hospitality industry & tourism

Creation Date

18 Jun 1997

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

10 Feb 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.