City of Fremantle

Place Number



24 Hampton Rd Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1897

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
RHP - To be assessed Current 25 Jan 2006

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
(no listings)

Statement of Significance

House, 24 Hampton Road, is a single storey limestone and Colorbond house dating from the 1890s. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the typical building stock located within the residential areas of Fremantle. It is historically significant as a representation of typical workers' houses in the Fremantle area. The place is an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture.

Physical Description

Single storey stone with brick quoining and Colourbond hipped roof residence, set high above and moderately back from the pavement behind a stone wall. Entrance to the house is via steep rendered steps. The dropped veranda roof has a bull nose and is supported by chamfered timber posts with metal lacework brackets and frieze and timber balustrades (probably not original). There are timber double hung sash windows and stained glass leadlight fanlights and sidelights (probably not original).


The street derives its name from John Stephen Hampton, the Governor from 1862-68, previously Comptroller of Convicts in Tasmania. His son, G. E. Hampton, was Acting Comptroller-General of the Fremantle Convict Establishment. The land on which House 24 Hampton Road sits was vacant in 1896 and owned by Andrew Mills, a master mariner. In 1897 a four room cottage had been built and was owned and occupied by Mills. Mills resided at the cottage until the early 1900s and owned the property until at least 1922/23. Some of Mills’ tenants included David Carlton, a customs officer in 1906/07, Michael Herbert Smith from circa 1910 – 1914, Herbert Turner in 1914/15, Charles Clarke in 1915/16, Clara Sloane in 1916/17 and John Richard Nicholson in 1922/23. The next owner was Andrew Beatt Simpson and his tenant was Abraham Orloff. Ownership had changed again by 1934/35 to William Dalkin Howson and Lottie May Howson. The Howsons owned the house until 1952 and had several tenants including Carl Fiebig




Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
25958 City of Fremantle Rate Books Council Records

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Bungalow

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Other Metal
Wall BRICK Face Brick
Wall STONE Limestone
Other GLASS Glass

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

06 May 2002

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

11 Feb 2020


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.