18 Tennyson St Leederville
Contemporary House & Studio
Constructed from 1999
|Municipal Inventory||Adopted||12 Sep 2006|
Glick House at 18 Tennyson Street is an award winning and striking example of Late Twentieth Century Functionalist style applied to an infill development of residence and studio for a notable local artist.
The double storey box like structure has a roof deck behind a horizontal clad corrugated iron parapet. The walls are prefabricated panels set within an exposed steel structure. There are no windows at ground floor level on the street frontage, rectangular aluminum framed windows at first floor level below a continuous horizontal band of windows set below the projecting parapet. The façade to the side yard comprises steel decks at three levels with return steel staircases accessing all levels. Balustrades are pipe rails. Minimal setback None
Tennyson Street was named after Alfred Tennyson (1809-1892), 1st Baron Tennyson and English poet laureate. It is adjacent to Shakespeare Street, which was named after the famous English playwright. It was part of the third Leeder Estate subdivision which was carried out after stages one and two, which began in 1891. In May 1895 this area became part of the Leederville Road District and the following year it became a municipality. The latter change came about as the area was deemed to have sufficient properties to enable the payment of ₤300 in annual rates. It was divided into three wards: North, South and Central and its first mayor was James Stewart Bennett. In 1914 the municipality joined with Perth, North Perth and other areas to form 'Greater Perth'. By 1900 the area was serviced by electric trams which ran from Perth and along Oxford (from Newcastle) as far as Anzac Road. This proved to be a strong attraction for settlers after that time. In the 1950s the trams were replaced by buses. Tennyson Street was originally comprised on the south side of the back yards of lots facing Galwey Street (previously Schafer Street), and on the north side by the side boundaries of the lots facing the cross streets. On the north side of the street a little brick workshop had at some time been established on a small piece of land taken from the rear of two lots facing Shakespeare Street. The workshop was in later years used for an upholstery business. As part of the ongoing subdivision and infill that has occurred in recent years in inner city areas, Tennyson Street has developed as a streetscape of modern residences as the lots facing Galwey Street have been subdivided. No. 18 is the only one in the street block on the northern side between Rae and Shakespeare Streets. In 1998, the workshop was demolished and a modern house, known as Glick house for its artist owner, Rodney Glick, was completed was completed in February-March 1999. Architects for the place were Geoff Warn and Jane Wetherall and the builder was Graham Glick and Magnum Builders. The place was both a residence and place of work for its owner, an artist who designs 'purpose-built art, public art, architecture, video, design, furniture' (www.glickinternational.com). He has also '˜created a number of fictional worlds, often co-scripted by David Solomon '“ The Glick International Collection, and the invention of Klusian Philosophy 1989 was quickly followed by The Alice Black Theory of Emerging Art'. (www.superfictions.com/encyc/entries/glick.html) At the time of his application for a building licence for the subject place he was also Coordinator of Graduate Studies in the School of Art at Curtin University. The 1999 Winter Edition of 'The Architect' described this house as 'an engineered aesthetic' and an 'ambiguous and confronting house'. In 2003 the premises were advertised for sale with offers above $585,000 only to be considered.
|Name||Type||Year From||Year To|
|Geoff Warn & Jane Wetherall||Architect||-||-|
Individual Building or Group
|Present Use||COMMERCIAL||Office or Administration Bldg|
|Original Use||RESIDENTIAL||Two storey residence|
|Present Use||RESIDENTIAL||Two storey residence|
This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.