Gibbs' House

Author

Shire of Harvey

Place Number

11990

Location

111 Young St Harvey

Location Details

Local Government

Harvey

Region

South West

Construction Date

Constructed from 1898

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Municipal Inventory Adopted 27 Oct 2015 Category 2

Statement of Significance

Social, Historical

Physical Description

According to the Municipal Inventory nomination form sent to the owner, Mr. Jefferies, the house stands on the south-east corner of a ten acre block. The original house has been “brick clad”. Although the main structure is still intact, there have been internal changes to the kitchen and bathroom. It is quite possible that an original weatherboard outhouse stands at the back. The lower storey of an old barn (containing the original framework) and milking area are still evident at the back.

History

The Gibbs family connection with Harvey commences with the arrival of Messrs, H. and G. Gibbs who initially travelled with Dr. H. F. Harvey and John Richard Young in the S.S Hesperus bound for South Australia. They later formed the partnership of Harvey, Young and Gibbs under the brand name ‘HYG’, they started trading in WA. One of the first ventures was the purchase of the “Harvey River Station” of 12,800 acres from Governor Stirling’s agents. The property was then leased to Thompson Logue. Early in 1885 the Gibbs brothers took up residence at Harvey at the Old Homestead. Already married, Herbert Gibbs, whose wife and their two children, May and Ivan, remained temporarily in South Australia, built the house for George Gibbs who had gone to Adelaide to marry. This homestead, long the residence of the Harvey Estate managers, was built with pit-sawn timber cut on the property. The Gibbs brothers managed the property until 1887 when they left the district and for many years the house was owned by Colin and Len Knight, grandchildren of the original George Gibbs. In 1890 Dr. Harvey returned from South Australia and took over the management of the estate and John Richard Young sold his interests in the estate to Dr. Hayward, after which time the firm became known as Harvey, Hayward and Gibbs. Dr. Harvey managed the estate until 1892 when he secured the help of manager until 1895 after which time he sold the estate to the W.A. Land Company. This resulted in unwanted litigation which caused the Gibbs brothers to withdraw from the firm. In 1900 it became known as Harvey and Hayward and later, in 1907, Dr, Hayward’s son Richard took over the ownership, trusting it to the management of F.J. Becher. This partnership was later responsible for the erection of the Harvey Weir. The Gibbs brothers, Hayward and Dr. Harvey are all honoured by streets bearing their namesake in the town of Harvey.

Condition

Compromised

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Face Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Settlements

Creation Date

08 Sep 1998

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

14 Jun 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.