City of Fremantle

Place Number



44 John St North Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1899

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 2

Parent Place or Precinct

22385 North Fremantle Precinct

Statement of Significance

House, 44 John Street, is a brick and iron one and a half storey house dating from the 1890s. It is a fine example of the Federation Queen Anne style of architecture. The place has aesthetic value for its fine design and detailing as well as its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. Historically significant as a representation of a fine residence it is representative of the more affluent building stock located within the residential areas of North Fremantle. Fine example of the architectural style, also of the gracious homes built at the turn of the century. Example of grand residences built in this area of North Fremantle c. 1900.

Physical Description

House, 44 John Street, is a one and a half storey brick and iron cottage with asymmetrical facade designed as a fine example of the federation Queen Anne style of architecture. Walls are tuck pointed brick with painted brick quoins and reveals pointed in black. The undercroft is built of limestone and brick, with windows at ground level. Roof is hipped and gabled corrugated iron. The gables are over the shallow faceted bay and over the projecting front room. The faceted bay which extends out from the projecting room is topped by a balustraded parapet wall. The stucco banding at sill height accentuates the timber sash windows which pierce the bay. The verandah wraps the house on two sides. Verandah is under separate corrugated iron roof. Verandah is supported by turned timber posts with decorative timber brackets and frieze. Simple timber balustrading surrounds the verandah. Masonry balustraded steps lead to the front entrance, a carved timber front door with sidelights and a high transom window. The two brick chimneys have stucco corbelling and decorative brickwork. This place contains a limestone feature -limestone foundations.


John Street was the main road surveyed through the parcel of land granted to Lt. Con. John Bruce in 1857. The land remained undivided and undeveloped until after John Bruce’s death, when his widow arranged for it to be auctioned as residential lots. A land sale was held in October 1890 to dispose of the estate of John Bruce. A large attendance resulted in all 88 lots being sold, for sums ranging from £21 to £102, at an average price of £33/16/0, well above the anticipated price. Towards the end of 1891, the new owners approached the Fremantle Council requesting that scrub be cleared so that they could access their blocks, and it is likely that this is when John Street, which had been marked on survey diagrams from at least 1833, was actually created. The area at this time was known as ‘Brucetown’. Pensioner Road, which ran from Stirling Highway (then Bruce Street) to the ocean and beach along the route of current Tydeman Road between Stirling Highway and the railway, and continuing beyond this point at the same angle, was renamed John Street in the late 1890s, being the continuation of the current John Street. This name remained until towards the end of the twentieth century, when roads were realigned to accommodate the expansion of Fremantle Port, and the current alignment of Tydeman Road was constructed. The present John Street, from Stirling Highway to the Swan River, developed as a predominantly residential area, with the exception of the Gresham Hotel (to 1934) and the North Fremantle Oval (later Gilbert Fraser Reserve). At the western end of the street a number of prominent homes were built, while the eastern end was characterised by workers cottages. Long residential blocks on the south side of the street, east of the oval, had a number of cottages built along their rear boundary, facing the water. These were reported to have flooded frequently. The street overall fell into disrepair in the decades following World War Two, with many of the larger residences used as boarding houses and the cottages rented out. Many German and Polish migrants took up residence in this period. From the 1980s, gentrification of the area began, with older places either being restored or demolished to construct higher density housing. In the 1990s, most of the older houses at the eastern end of the street were demolished to allow for new waterside developments, most notably Pier 21. House, 44 John Street, was constructed c.1899 for owner Ezra Parry (chemist, of P. & Co.). Parry lived at the place until at c.1909. He began work as a chemist in 1892, and later apprenticed his son Noel, with whom he went into business following World War One. In 1912, the place was transferred to Joseph Hadfield Grundy (importer), who does not appear to have lived there. In 1921-22 Rate Books record the place as a seven-room brick house, owned by Grundy and occupied by Joseph Corkhill. From 1929 to 1944, the place was owned by Basil John Hallion (medical practitioner), who also lived there throughout his ownership. Until the 1940s, 44 John Street was set in spacious grounds covering Lots 17 (on which the house is situated) and 18. The latter was reported to have had stables, although no buildings are shown on this Lot in a 1913 plan. After a relatively brief period of ownership by The Roy Hine (motor mechanic), the place passed to Ernest John Moriarty (hairdresser) and his wife Sarah in 1951. From 1959, following Ernest’s death, Sarah was sole owner until 1976. Like many of the larger residences on the street, 44 John Street appears to have had a period following World War Two when it was used for rental accommodation or as a boarding house. This place was included in the 'North Fremantle Heritage Study' (1994) as a place contributing to the development and heritage of North Fremantle. It was also included in the list of heritage places in the City of Fremantle identified by the Fremantle Society (1979/80) - PURPLE -of architectural and historic significance in its own right.


High degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability, restored). High degree of authenticity with much original fabric remaining. (These statements based on street survey only).


Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).


Name Type Year From Year To
Ezra Parry, Chemist Architect - -

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use RESIDENTIAL One-and-a-half storey residence
Original Use RESIDENTIAL One-and-a-half storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Queen Anne

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Face Brick
Wall STONE Limestone
Wall BRICK Painted Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

20 Jul 2011

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

22 Mar 2019


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.