City of Fremantle

Place Number



11 Forrest St Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1908

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted Level 3

Parent Place or Precinct

26090 Holland/Forrest Street Heritage Area

Physical Description

House, 11 Forrest Street is a single storey brick and iron house. Walls are tuck pointed brick and have rendered banding. The hipped roof has two small half gables and two painted brick chimneys with corbelling extant. There is a separate skillion roof verandah supported by steel posts. Solar panels on the roof are visually prominent. The façade has timber framed double hung sash windows flank the central entrance door that has side panels. There is a low limestone block wall to the footpath fronting the central path and garden.


Lot 982 has two parts. Both were vacant to at least 1904/5. In 1908, a cottage was built on one part, owned and occupied by Mrs Mary W. Brown. Fremantle Rate Books show that rates were collected from Mrs Brown from 1909 which confirms the date of construction. The other lot was vacant to at least 1924/5 and was owned by the Government. A 1913 plan (PWD 13017) shows the house as the only one in that block on the south side of Forrest Street. The 1914 sewerage map (No. 2032) shows a brick house with a full length front verandah with central stairs, and a rear verandah with weatherboard enclosures at each end. There was an outbuilding against the western boundary fence in the rear yard. The house was originally number 84, and became number 11 when the whole street was renumbered in 1939. Mrs Brown lived at the house until c1920, after which residents included James Moir (c1920-25) then James Grady, who lived there until at least 1949, when Post Office Directories records cease. Aerial photos (Landgate) show that in the late 2000/early 2010s the rear section of the house was redeveloped and the main roof (terracotta tiles) was replaced with Zincalume.


Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof TILE Terracotta Tile
Wall BRICK Pointed Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

25 Feb 2003

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

03 Jun 2021


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.