City of Fremantle

Place Number



52 Lilly St South Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1902

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 3

Statement of Significance

House, 52 Lilly Street, is a typical single storey house dating from c 1902. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the typical workers' houses in the Fremantle area. The place is an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture.

Physical Description

52 Lilly Street is a single storey, brick and iron house built c.1902 designed as an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture. The roof is hipped and clad with corrugated iron. The verandah is under a continuous corrugated iron roof and is fully enclosed with fibre cement sheeting and aluminium windows. The house is situated on the front boundary line.


Lilly Street is named after James Lilly, who was manager of the Adelaide Steamship Company from 1886 to 1889. Lilly was born in Tasmania in 1845 and died in Claremont in 1905. The majority of the houses in the street date from the 1890s and early 1900s. House, 52 Lilly Street was built c. 1902. In 1904/05, it was listed in the rate book as a cottage owned and occupied by John Cook, a saddler. A Metropolitan Sewerage plan dated 1908 shows a wide rectangular brick cottage with a full length front verandah, an extension to the rear and a half-length back verandah. By 1912/13, the cottage was owned by James Ramsay. Mr Ramsay owned the property until c. 1945 and rented it to a succession of tenants. Esther Holt was the tenant from c. 1930 and by 1952, William Holt was the owner. William Holt was still the owner in 1960, but by 1964, House, 52 Lilly Street was owned and occupied by Peter and Ellen Goodlick. Frank Kastropil was the owner from the mid-1960s until c. 1995. This place was included in the list of heritage places in the City of Fremantle identified by the Fremantle Society (1979/80) - RED -significant for contributing to the unique character of Fremantle.


Medium degree of integrity (original intent mostly clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability). Medium degree of authenticity with some original fabric remaining. (These statements based on street survey only).


Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Bungalow

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

20 Jul 2011

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

05 Mar 2020


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.