z Fremantle ARCHIVED 201216

Place Number



26 Finnerty St Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1881

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 1B

Statement of Significance

Exceptionally significant residence built to accommodate the warden of the adjacent asylum (Fremantle Arts Centre) in 1881. The place contributes to a substantially intact late nineteenth and early twentieth century streetscape close to the centre of Fremantle.

Physical Description

Single storey rendered with ahslar effect house with a timber singled hipped roof. The dropped verandah extends to the pavement and is supported by timber posts. There are eight paned timber casement windows.


Finnerty Street is named for Colonel Finnerty of the Western Australian Pensioner Forces. In 1876, while still a major, Finnerty was in charge when the Georgette tried to obtain the return of the escaped Fenians from the American ship Catalpa. The eastern end of Burt St from East St to the bend also used to be Finnerty St, but was renamed Burt St in 1995. 26 Finnerty Street (Lot 867). Between 1875 and 1878, Lot 867 Finnerty Street was vacant and owned by Thomas Paisley, chief warder of the Fremantle Lunatic Asylum (1876). In 1880, the lot was still vacant and owned by Elias Solomon. A year later a cottage is listed on the lot. It was occupied by Matthew Butler, a mason by profession, and owned by Mr Solomon. No. 26 Finnerty Street appears quite clearly on PWD maps dated 1898, 1902 and 1904. On a map dated January 1909, the cottage (then No. 50) appears as a stone dwelling with side (west) and front verandahs. The property was sewered in August 1914. According to Council Health files, dating from 1952, the dwelling was found to be sub-standard. In 1962, it was recommended that demolition or rebuilding take place. In 1977, the building was condemned for want of repairs. By April 1977, Mr Ken Norrish was the new owner of the property and he wrote to Council asking for the condemnation order to be lifted so that he could move and complete restoration works. He had already: completed and renewed the plumbing; repaired and straightened all internal floors; repaired and sealed most internal walls; restored the bathroom; new roof and guttering at rear; enclosed back verandah properly and re-floored. The cottage received a Fremantle Award in 1980 for its outstanding contribution to the built environment of the city.

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof TIMBER Shingle

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

20 Jul 2011

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

22 Mar 2019


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.