HOUSE, 7 MANNING STREET

Author

City of Fremantle

Place Number

21243

Location

7 Manning St Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government

Fremantle

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

Constructed from 1901

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 3

Statement of Significance

House, 7 Manning Street, is a typical rendered masonry and iron single storey house dating from 1901. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the typical workers' houses in the Fremantle area. The place is an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture.

Physical Description

7 Manning Street is a single storey, rendered masonry and iron house with an asymmetrical facade designed as an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture. The walls are rendered masonry. The roof is gabled and clad with corrugated iron. The facade has a projecting front room with timber casement windows and timbered gable over. The front door and double hung sash window are located under a corrugated iron verandah supported by turned timber posts. There is a brick chimney evident. There is a brick and timber picket fence to the front boundary line.

History

This house was built in 1901 for the owner Mrs Olivia O’Connor. She appears to have used the property as an investment and leased it to tenants. The first occupant was civil servant, Aubrey John Ducat and from 1905 to 1906 the occupant was Elias Norling, road contractor. The 1908 sewerage plan of this site shows that this stone cottage had a front verandah across approximately half of the front façade. At the rear of the building was a timber addition which included a bath room in the southwest corner. In the back yard of the property was a timber closet and a small timber shed. A photograph of the house in 1979 shows that the cottage had a dark corrugated iron roof in relatively poor condition. The front windows are original. A low brick wall on the front boundary appears to be a later addition. This place was identified by the Fremantle Society in 1979/80 as being of cultural heritage significance. (Coded: Brown: "Positively contributing to the built environment") In 1982, additions and renovation were undertaken on the property, which included a new front wall and roof. A photograph of the house after this date indicates that internal features of the house were intact and the timber addition was still present at the rear. The back yard had been extensively modified.

Integrity/Authenticity

High degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability). High degree of authenticity with much original fabric remaining. (These statements based on street survey only).

Condition

Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Bungalow

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall RENDER Smooth
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

20 Jul 2011

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

27 Feb 2020

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.