Hyden Rock Dam

Author

Shire of Kondinin

Place Number

11071

Location

Hyden

Location Details

Local Government

Kondinin

Region

Wheatbelt

Construction Date

Constructed from 1929

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management
Category
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Mar 1998 Category 4

Statement of Significance

The place represents the instigation of the location of the town of Hyden. It represents the progress of the Hyden region. It represents a unique realisation of the identity of the region and successful marketing of that resource. The place is an international and local landmark. It represents the ongoing sustainability of Hyden.

History

Hyden Rock and the town of Hyden were named after a sandalwood cutter who worked in the area, and camped at the Rock. His name was Hyde, however it appeared on the lithos as Hyden, and that name has been adopted. The Rock was a popular destination for picnics, sports days and social gatherings in the developing region of Hyden. The town of Hyden was proposed to be located on a hill on the south of the Rock but the railway was not extending further than the existing railhead. The Hyden settlement took place in response to the availability of water and run off from the rock. With settlement in the Hyden area taking place after free selection was cancelled in the Karlgarin area in 1926, by government responded with water supplies. The dam was developed as part of the 3500 farm scheme which opened up land eastwards from Hyden. The scheme proposed to harness the water from four rock catchments; Hyden Rock, Graham Rock, King Rocks and the Humps, and pump the water to the top of King Rocks to gravity feed to Forrestania area. By 1929, a small weir had been constructed at Hyden Rock. In 1936, the 740,000 gallon dam was roofed using labour from a government sustenance program. In 1951, the dam was extended to a capacity of 5 million gallons, and the Hyden town was reticulated in 1952. In 1958, the Hyden farmers believed that they were self sufficient, and rejected the opportunity to connect to the Comprehensive Water Scheme. After the "Walkabout" magazine featured the Wave rock on the cover in the early 1960s the tourist potential of the Hyden rock and surrounding area has continued to be developed. In 1962, the first tourists travelled to Hyden, and almost immediately a tourist committee was formed. In 1963, the committee proposed that toilet facilities and a shire caravan park be erected at the Wave Rock. It was rejected by Council, but proceeded with in 1964. The Wave Rock now has a national reputation as a landmark, and it is included in many international and national tour itineraries.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: Intact or redeemable

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
A Webb; "Kondinin-Kalgarin-Hyden Community, Time and Place". Shire of Kondinin 1988
M Mayfield; "Hyden Progress Association celebrating Fifty Years 1945-1995". Hyden progress Assoc- Souvenir Booklet 1995
J Meeking; "The History of Hyden". 1972

Place Type

Geological monument

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use GOVERNMENTAL Reservoir or Dam
Original Use GOVERNMENTAL Reservoir or Dam

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Settlements

Creation Date

16 Mar 1998

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.